Cowboy Palace Saloon a must visit for college students

Cowboy Palace Saloon patrons enjoy an evening of live music and line dancing. Photo Credit: Katie Grayot / Daily Sundial

Confederate flags, vintage signage and hundreds of photographs cover the walls, and the large wood dance floor almost lights up from the reflections of the neon signs.

For over 30 years, the Cowboy Palace Saloon  in Chatsworth has been bringing country hospitality and strong drinks to anyone wanting to visit a different kind of night club.  Advertising themselves as being “the last real honky-tonk,” I knew I was in for something different than I was used to, even with my country dive bar experience.

My companion and I chose seats right up at the worn wooden bar before deciding on a few of their signature drinks.  I chose the Watermelon Crawl, which is a sweet mixture of tequila, Watermelon Pucker, Mike’s Hard Lemonade and lime;  basically a 32 ounce mason jar full of sweet alcohol.

My friend was more adventurous and chose the Texas Tea, another mason jar sized drink that combines Jack Daniels, Bacardi 151, Captain Morgan 100 and Mike’s Hard Lemonade. The tea should come with a disclaimer because I swear I got a contact buzz from just sitting next to it.
Three drinks came out to around $25, which considering their size and potency is an amazing deal.

This country-western bar offers live music 7 days a week, perfect for showing off your best two-step down on the dance floor.  Friendly regulars make newcomers feel welcomed and may even take you out for a whirl around the dance floor. So don’t be shy -– put on a pair of cowboy boots and get out on the dance floor to enjoy the full country-western experience.

If you are not so sure about your dancing abilities, show up to the Cowboy Palace Saloon in the evening to take free dance lessons, which are held everyday. Learn some traditional dance moves perfect for singles or couples.

The clientele and music are great for those looking for a place to relax and unwind in the afternoon as well as those looking to dance and have a more raucous time later at night.  This is a true country bar with strong inexpensive drinks and a fun atmosphere that sure made for a good time.

Cowboy Palace Saloon

21635 Devonshire Street
Chatsworth, CA 91311
(818) 341-0166