Chegg offers free study program for finals week

In an effort to raise morale and hope among CSUN students taking their final exams within the coming weeks, Chegg, a privately owned company, will run a free Virtual Study week on their website from Dec. 4 to Dec. 10.

The study program is a first for the academic-focused company, allowing students to have their questions answered by experts for a limited time, according to Chegg representative Caleb Finch. The opportunity will not be offered to everyone.

“Chegg is helping students on 100 campuses nationwide,” said Angela Pontarolo, Chegg communications manager. “Schools were chosen according to several attributes, including location.” The free Virtual Study week will be offered to both full-time and part-time students.

“I don’t really have an approach to studying yet,” said Lily Garcia, a 18-year-old freshman English major. “I procrastinate until I grind the my nose into the books for two days before the tests, dropping all my calls and occasionally forgetting to eat. Total squirrel hermit mode. ”

Efforts to raise awareness among college campus include an on-campus contest where organizations with the most Chegg members will win free dinner every night of finals week.
The numbers will be tracked by signups within particular groups, the winners receiving 20 free pizzas every night for the week, according to Tracy King, Chegg field marketing coordinator.

“We will be tallying sign-ups up until the last day of Study Week for the campus, Dec. 9,” said King.

As of now, there are no group qualifications which means any group can participate.

“Two semesters ago I bought a bucket of KFC chicken for studying,” said Martha Torres, a 23-year-old junior engineering major. For Torres, her studying habits now always include food. “Every hour I would eat a leg or a piece of chicken while I studied and it kept me going. I don’t think I would’ve made it through those nights without the food.”

Originally founded in 2001 by three Iowa State University students, the company provides textbook rentals – both traditional and electronic – homework help and scholarships.

Other options available to students include free massages, yoga lessons, snack packs and test kits provided by the University Student Union, beginning Dec. 3.

Students interested in taking advantage of the Chegg Virtual Study week may be able to find out more at www.chegg.com/studyweek. Group leaders interested in the contest may contact King at tking@chegg.com for further information and eligibility.