Men’s Baseball: Matt Curtis’ contract not renewed

CSUN is searching for a new head baseball coach after Matt Curtis’ contract was not renewed Tuesday.

Although Curtis’ third season improvement his overall record, it wasn’t good enough to renew his contract, said Brandon Martin, director of intercollegiate athletics.

“From day one I talked about excellence and we didn’t have an excellent season,” Martin said. “If you look at what we did this last season, we did have some good wins but if you look at the totality of the seasons, it’s not where we need to be and where I want our baseball team to be in the future.”

Curtis’ record this past season was 31-26. His overall record for the last three seasons was 77-89, and 31-44 against Big West Conference opponents.

“If you look at this past year we did have some stretches where we show improvement, but we lost eight out of nine games in the conference,” Martin said.

Complaints regarding Curtis’ interaction and language toward players did not come into account, Martin said.

“I just go back to data driven decisions, I made this decision based on numbers and his body of work, not on claims that were unfounded,” he said.

A national search for a new coach began Tuesday, Martin said.

“We definitely want someone with a Southern California tie, a strong baseball pedigree from high level programs and someone who understands the importance of student athlete welfare,” Martin said.

A timeframe for the search has not been announced.

“I hope it doesn’t lead into the fall semester, I would love to get this search completed as fast as possible,” Martin said.

Martin said CSUN is thankful for the work Curtis put into the team.

“I wish Curtis the best moving forward, we appreciate his contribution and his service for the past three years and we wish him nothing but success as his career progresses,” Martin said.