Meet your athletes: Cynthia Tafoya

Meet your athletes: Cynthia Tafoya

When Cynthia Tafoya, 20, enters the Matador Soccer Field, she is ready to protect her turf.

The junior English major with a minor in Journalism defends the net for the Matadors and has been a lynchpin on defense.

When on the field, Tafoya has adopted a certain tradition.

“I just really try to make my first play the best play so I can set the tone for the whole game,” she said. “It’s more like keeping my head in the game and positive self talk in my head throughout the game.”

According to Tafoya, the most intense match in her career so far was with Cal State Fullerton this season.

She recalls that it was a really close game and the Matadors ended up tying (1-1) and going into double overtime. During the match, Tafoya made nine saves, including seven stops in the second half, to preserve the draw.

“Everyone was cheering each other on but also instructing each other, so I think that made it even more intense,” Tafoya said. “Talking and buying into the same philosophy is really important for teams.”

Defender Amilee Smith, 20, emphasizes the importance of having Tafoya on the team.

“She brings a lot to the table,” said Smith.”Soccerwise, everyone trusts her in the goal…she makes us feel more united.”

Assistant coach Juan Plascencia said that Tafoya’s hard work and determination have helped her to improve tremendously as a goalkeeper.

“Her demeanor in practice has gotten a little bit more with the go-getter attitude,” he said. “She works hard and her attitude has definitely given her a better rate of improvement.”

Tafoya, however, has never considered becoming a professional soccer player. After graduation, she plans to get her teaching credentials and teach at Notre Dame High School, which she attended for three years.

“If I do start getting better and improving every game, then I will try (becoming a soccer player),” Tafoya said. “But for now it’s teaching and writing for my career.”

Tafoya1
Tafoya has never considered becoming a professional soccer player. After graduation, she plans to achieve a teaching credential and teach at Notre Dame High School, which she attended three years. “If I do start getting better and improving every game, then I will try (becoming a soccer player),” she said. “But for now it’s teaching and writing for my career.” Photo credit: Lucas Esposito / Daily Sundial
Tafoya6
The positive relationship among the women’s soccer teammates is not limited to the field. Photo credit: Lucas Esposito / Daily Sundial
Tafoya4
According to Tafoya, the most intense match in her career so far was with Cal State Fullerton (1-1) this season. During the match, Tafoya made nine saves, including seven stops in the second half, to preserve the draw. Photo credit: Lucas Esposito / Daily Sundial

Tafoya2
“When I was growing up around eight through ten, I dabbled in volleyball and basketball but soccer was the (sport) that kept my interest and the one that I really love the most.” Photo credit: Lucas Esposito / Daily Sundial
Tafoya3
Tafoya gets treatment for a sprained ankle that she suffered during the last match of the season with Rainbow Wahine in Honolulu. The mild injury has not stopped her training. Photo Credit: Lucas Esposito / Daily Sundial