Long commute hurts the college experience for students

D. Ross Cameron/Bay Area News Group/MCT)

Finally, we have graduated from the torment we call high school and taken a step towards adulthood.

As a freshman, I was filled with excitement. I knew that I would be on a campus where students got involved.

Sadly, CSUN is considered a commuter school.

A commuter school is defined as “a sizable percentage of students who commute to class. A commuter school has a very different feel from a residential university, especially on weekends, when the population of a commuter campus can go from 10,000 to a few hundred,” according to education reporter Jackie Burrell.

Although being a commuter can benefit students, there’s a large amount of students that look for that college experience.

We need to make this campus a college town in order to become a more united student body.

Some students do not want to go to school and then go home. They want a college experience.

As a senior, I am extremely saddened that my college experience never truly happened, even though I lived in the campus dorms my freshman year.

Don’t get me wrong, I met people in classes but most of them were commuters. Trying to make a connection outside of class was difficult.

My dream of being part of a community or making contacts beyond friendships disappeared.

If CSUN became a university campus with people that are invested to get involved, students would join the amazing experience our school has to offer.

CSUN offers one of the most affordable tuition and great classes. Lets change the idea of our commuter school campus.

CSUN offers resources that enable students to get involved. Yet students do not take advantage of the resources the campus offers.

The idea to join a fraternity or certain club came to mind every semester while in college. Even when I thought it was too late for me to join. I still had a desire to feel like I belonged somewhere.

My freshman year I rushed a fraternity but sadly I lost my job and did not have the funds to join. From my sophomore year up to the beginning of my senior year, I became part of that label that was I was so afraid to be – a commuter.

A commuter from Ventura, Calif.

Some might not think is that far, but the hour drive on the 101 North at 3 p.m. would state otherwise. I tried to join a club as well but the distance was so far, that I was not able to be consistent with my attendance.

What is it like to live in a college town? Imagine a place where students do not stress about parking structure B3 or G3. Because students ride their bikes from home to school in a college town.

And that job ten years from now – that was thanks to your neighbor who majored in business and or who you called a best friend.

Making CSUN into a college town will lead people to make friendships and also it will be incredibly easy to become involved in school. The opportunities would be great for current Matadors and upcoming students.

I truly wish I could rewind time and have the opportunity to be involved, but sadly, my time is up.

Slowly we can make a change happen within our own community by being involved. This can happen in 20 years or in one semester. Students will make that difference by becoming involved.

-Samuel Cortez, 22, is a CSUN communication studies major.