Classic rock, old soul throwback playlist will bring nostalgic memories

(Martin Rickett/PA Wire/Zuma Press/TNS)

There is beauty in a Throwback Thursday. It’s everyone’s favorite unofficial holiday of the school week, fit snugly between Hump Day and the weekend. Thursdays are a time of reflection, a time to remember. People break out the baby photos, pop in their favorite VHS tape and toast to the past over a glass of Cactus Cooler. Nostalgia never looked so good.

Any classic rock enthusiast will appreciate this week’s “TBT” playlist, which kicks off with back-to-back hits of the late, great David Bowie, who died last month at age 69. His legacy, like many other artists featured in this week’s playlist, takes its permanent place in the cosmos.

Students on campus enjoy more that just today’s top 40 hits, and reflect on some bands they listen to.

“I like AC/DC,” said geography-journalism double major Shannon Ozburn. “They’re the best band to rock my head side-to-side to. They have the right beat and you don’t want to stop listening. When I was seven, I found my mom’s old records and I thought ‘this is awesome.'”

On the playlist you will find Fleetwood Mac, Black Sabbath and even a little Simon & Garfunkle. Classic rock is key this week, but if you’re an old soul looking to throw it back even further, we’ve included The Temptations, Aretha Franklin, Etta James and Ol’ Blue Eyes, Frank Sinatra. Take your pick.

“‘Carry On My Wayward Son’ by Kansas is my throwback song because it’s from one of my favorite shows, [Supernatural],” said Gaby Hopkins, who has yet to pick a major. “Sometimes I’ll just hear it randomly in the store. My dad would play it in the car … I grew up listening to that song.”

There are even a few ’90s and 2000s gems in here for the Millennials. It’s just not Thursday if you haven’t listened to a Backstreet Boys song.

“[My throwback song,] ‘Mambo No. 5’ is uplifting,” said graphic design major Ian Arroyo. “It’s a real California song. Something you listen to on the beach.”

So sit back and plug in your headphones, or turn it up to 11. Always press play. Happy Thursday, y’all.