Looking Glamorous at a Cruelty-free Cost

Illustration by Kiv Bui.

While a vegan diet consists of plant-based foods instead of meat, vegan makeup is a total different ball park.

In this case, vegan refers to animal cruelty-free products and testing. Just because a product is labeled ‘vegan’, doesn’t mean that it really is, the fine print should be read to make sure the product is what it states.

Twenty one-year-old business major Felicha Dailey said she has never used vegan makeup but is interested in trying it.

“I’m here for not hurting the animals, that’s one of the biggest concerns for me nowadays,” Dailey said. “There’s no reason for an innocent animal to be tortured to make a product for us humans.”

A few months ago, Yasmin Echeverria had her makeup done by a licensed cosmetologist who used all vegan products on her.

“I could feel on my skin that those products were better than what I was used to,” the 22-year-old business major said. “My skin didn’t feel cakey or heavy.”

For most people, the most important factor of the decision to buy vegan makeup or not is whether the product is affordable. When we hear ‘better quality’, often times we connect that to higher prices. However, low prices are available to those who search.

PETA has list on their website of vegan and cruelty-free brands from Sephora and drug store makeup with names varying from Anastasia Beverly Hills, Too Faced, Becca, Elf, Wet’n’Wild, Milani, Sonia Kashuk, some Urban Decay products, and more.

Ivonne Flores, a 24-year-old psychology major, is a makeup fanatic who takes pride in living a vegan lifestyle and refraining from the consumption of animal products.

“I have Kat Von D, Wet’n’Wild, and Tarte items that are part of their vegan lines,” Flores said. “My favorite is a Wet’n’Wild mascara that comes in a purple tube; it works really well and is only like $2.”

It is possible to find cheap cosmetic treats that are beneficial to yourself and the vegan community, all it takes is a little research.