CSUN offers many unique resources to students that can help with academic performance, career planning, fitness, creativity, or just making fun memories. Here is a list of 15 free things students should take advantage of before graduating.
1. Take a nap in a sleeping pod. The Oasis Wellness Center in the USU offers sleeping pods with a comfortable reclining chair and a dome-like cover overhead. Naps are limited to 20 minutes and the pods will wake you with slow, subtle vibrations. The sleeping pods are available by appointment only. More information and appointment scheduling can be found here.
2. Create things with Photoshop. The Creative Media Studio in the Oviatt Library has computers equipped with Photoshop, Adobe Illustrator, Adobe Premier, and more. Workshops are available to teach students how to edit photos, videos, and graphic design with this software. Workshop schedules and other information can be found here.
3. Take a belly dancing class. The SRC offers a belly dancing class teaching the fundamentals of belly dancing while incorporating cardio and abdominal workouts. Shimmy belts are available for checkout in the Pro Shop. More information and class schedules can be found here.
4. Climb The Ridge-rock wall. The SRC offers a three-story rock wall with 12 top rope anchors. Rock climbing equipment is available for checkout in the Pro Shop. Group classes and workshops are also available. More information can be found here.
5. See professional comedians at a comedy show. “Laugh Your Class Off” takes place monthly in the USU games room. Free food is also available at the event. Schedules and more information can be found here.
6. Get art lessons. “All That Art” is held in the Plaza Del Sol at the USU where students can get lessons on painting, make vinyl record art, engage in tie-dying, mandala coloring, and more. There will also be snacks and a drawing for eco-friendly art supplies. More information and workshop dates can be found here.
7. Practice interviews and constructing resumes unique to your desired career. SUNlink is an online system offered by the Career Center in the Bayramian Hall intended to help students establish career goals, find internships, and get information about career options. More information can be found here.
8. Learn to harness mindfulness. The University Counseling Services offer workshops to teach students how to increase their energy, improve sleeping patterns, store relaxation in the body, and increase a balance between the mind and body. The UCS is located in the Bayramian Hall. More information can be found here.
9. Exercise while swimming. The SRC Rec pool offers group classes with an instructor that teaches how to get a full body workout and meet individual fitness goals while in the water. Class schedules and information can be found here.
10. Listen or express yourself through slam poetry. “Espressions” is held monthly in the Northridge Center of the USU. Students are welcome to read their original poetry and perform songs or verses with music. Food, beverages and raffle prizes are also a fun bonus of the event. More information can be found here.
11. Get tips on how to maintain academic success. The ExCEL Academic Support group is a workshop created by the University Counseling Services to teach students how to achieve and maintain self-confidence in academics, overcome academic obstacles, and get the most out of the academic experience. More information can be found here.
12. Sing your favorite song and win a prize. The USU games room holds a monthly karaoke night with free food and prizes. Dates and more information can be found here.
13. Get a workout in on your lunch break. The Motivation and Inspiration Studios offer “Lunch Time Express” with a variety of group classes such as pilates, zumba, yoga, cycling, and body sculpting. Instructors teach people with busy schedules how to get a sufficient workout in a small amount of time. Class registration and information can be found here.
14. See live music from a variety of genres. The Plaza Del Sol in the USU holds “Noontime Concerts” every Thursday for students to get together around a live band. Free food is offered at the concerts as well. More information can be found here.
15. Take a boxing class. Learn from an instructor at the SRC how to use boxing as an alternative form of exercise. Equipment checkout and class schedules can be found here.