The do’s and don’ts of fashion for summer vacation

As the semester comes to a close and we begin to prepare for summer, I feel it is only fair to give you tips for what to do and what not to do in the summer.

While most of this is common sense, we cannot overlook those who may not be knowledgeable about the things that I am about to mention.

Again, I am not an expert; it’s just my opinion. If you have issues with anything I mention, you won’t be able to talk to me about it, because I’m graduating.

I would like to thank Tonee Sherrill, 22-year-old deaf studies major, for helping me to compile this list.

1) Do use razors and other mechanisms to remove hair from your body. Excessive hair everywhere is not attractive. Ladies, if you’re going to wear sandals, please shave the hair off your toes first. You know what I’m talking about.

While you’re at it, let’s get rid of the mustaches too. Some of us have them and we can’t help that, but everyone doesn’t have to know about it. If you’re OK with your mustache, disregard this. Gentlemen, there is only so much hair that should be allowed to stay in your armpits. If your arms are down and it’s still creeping out, it’s too much.

2) Do use clear deodorant. While we’re on the subject of underarms, let’s all decide to wear clear deodorant. I don’t mean solid-to-clear deodorant, I mean clear, as in you can’t see it.

How embarrassing is it to wave to someone and have chunks of gunky white stuff waving, too? It’s especially bad when it gets caught in the hair and turns into little balls.

3) Do wear the appropriate swimwear. Just because it’s hot and you’re at the beach, it doesn’t give you the right to wear any type of swimwear you want. For example, thong bikinis, just don’t do it. It’s not sexy. Men, please leave the Speedos at home.

4) Don’t wear cornrows when it doesn’t look good on you. I know it’s hot and some of us just want to have our hair out of our face, but cornrows are not for everyone. Some should just put their hair up in a ponytail and let it go. That’s all I’m going to say about that.

5) Don’t allow for ashiness. Just because you’re at the beach and in sand doesn’t mean you should go there without putting on lotion first. Keep a little bottle with you at all times. Ashy kneecaps are not OK. For those of you with lighter skin tones, you get ashy too. Don’t think your skin color will hide it.

6) Do wear socks with appropriate shoes. When wearing closed-toed shoes, please wear socks whenever possible. I know it’s hot, but when you put on sneakers with no socks and then take them off in the company of others, the smell singes their nose hairs. If you are intent on not wearing socks, use baby powder, odor eaters, or something. And nobody better dare walk out of the house with Ugg Boots on. It’s 100 degrees outside!

7) Don’t wear ponchos. Lastly, from this day forth, I believe all ponchos should be used as parachutes and no longer as fashion statements.

Thank you. Have a great summer.