Elections Complaint

After investigating a complaint from an independent A.S senate candidate, the A.S election committee voted to allow students of the Conscious Students United For Northridge (C.S.U.N) slate to continue using the acronym for their campaign material.

Graduate studies senate candidate Dan Monteleone lodged a formal complaint suggesting that C.S.U.N had violated two articles of the election code in regards to good sense and taste.

‘Due to the misleading name chosen by the slate, I suspect some students may be confused by the postings and be unable to determine which are genuine CSUN advertisements and which are campaign materials for C.S.U.N,’ said Monteleone.

Monteleone said he was surprised that other candidates had not brought the issue to the committee’s attention.

‘I looked at the bylaws and realized the committee couldn’t do anything without a complaint, so since no one else was going to do it I figured this was my last opportunity,’ said Monetleone.

The two main items in question were C.S.U.N’s website and campaign t-shirts candidates have been wearing.

Monteleone complained that the t-shirts were similar to the CSUN brand merchandise sold in the bookstore and that the slates website was misleading.

On their Web site they have ‘Welcome to C.S.U.N headquarters,’ which makes it seem that they are the main CSUN webpage, said Monteleone.

C.S.U.N A.S senate candidate Luis Carbajo said that as the name of his slate was so long A.S election committee officials approved of his using the acronym.

In the hearing Carbajo held up the t-shirt in question and compared it to the CSUN logo on a notebook.

‘I am not using the CSUN logo,’ he said.

Carbajo had the t-shirts printed and then sought approval from A.S election committee director Mazen Hafez.

‘I wish I was here to discuss my platform and ideas and not this B.S,’ said Carbajo who was advised of the complaint an hour prior to his appearance at the committee hearing.
After the decision was reached, Matador Involvement Center Advisor Augie Garibay said that the C.S.U.N logo was not the same as the original CSUN watermark.