Softball coach spending summer with Pride

The old saying of “Those who can’t do, teach” is being proved wrong by CSUN softball coach Kia Fennell.  Fennell is the assistant coach for the Matadors and she will be spending her summer as a pitcher with the USSSA Pride in the National Pro Fastpitch League.

“I am very excited to have this opportunity to continue my playing career,” Fennell said.  “All of my teammates are great and have been very nice so far.  We have a lot of talented players on the team and learning from them will help me in both my playing and coaching.”

During her college years, Fennell was an All-American pitcher for CSUN.  She finished with a career record of 50-42, which is the seventh most wins in school history.  Fennell is also in the top five in strikeouts in Matador history, with 169.

The USSSA Pride is based in Kissimmee, Florida.  Joining Fennell on the Pride are former US Olympianos Kelly Kretschman, Monica Abbott and Caitlin Lowe.

If you would like to follow Coach Fennell’s season with the Pride and see how she is performing, visit www.usssapride.com.  Fennell plans on returning to her coaching duties following the season.