Where to: buy clothing

View Clothing Stores in a larger map

Buying brand name clothes just isn’t my thing. I look for affordable and comfortable things to wear. Admittedly, I wouldn’t wear anything that doesn’t look good either. Thrift stores are usually looked at as places where “the poor” shop. Thrift stores, in my opinion, are the perfect place to shop.
The clothes are usually donated or sold to the store, but that doesn’t mean the they’re not in great condition. The person have gotten rid of them because they don’t fit or not enough closet space. Shopping at a thrift store shouldn’t be looked down on, it is perfect for a “starving college student.”
Aardvark’s Odd Ark

Aardvarks Photo by Shant Kazandjian
Aardvarks Photo by Shant Kazandjian

(818) 999-3211
21434 Sherman Way
Canoga Park, CA 91303

Aardvark’s is a store to buy clothes that have been previously owned. T-shirts, jeans, and anything else that someone might part with. The clothes are still in perfect condition (no holes or tears). Aardvark’s, for me, is the first (and usually only) stop towards creating my Halloween costume.

“Around Halloween time, I find myself always going to Aardvark’s to pick out my costume. They have props and stuff too, but I don’t buy any of that. I buy 3-4 different articles of clothing for a great price and make an original costume. Not one that is pre-made,” said a customer, Ryan Yeger.

Iguana Vintage Clothing

Iguana Vintage Clothing Photo by Shant Kazandjian

(818) 907-6716
14422 Ventura Blvd.
Sherman Oaks, CA 91423

Iguana Vintage Clothing

Leather jackets, suits of any color, cowboy boots, and any kind of trend for the past 60 years can be found at Iguana. Like other thrift stores, Iguana has plenty of racks fully stacked with clothes (t-shirts, dresses, and jeans). What sets Iguana apart from other stores is their variety of clothing from different decades. Just don’t expect these vintage clothes (leather jackets especially) to be as good of a price as their other clothes.

Shoe City

Shoe City Photo by Shant Kazandjian
Shoe City Photo by Shant Kazandjian

(818) 342-7777
18300 Sherman Way
Reseda, CA 91335
http://www.shoecity.com/

In business for over 30 years, Shoe City carries shoes for the athletic person. Their specialty and my first choice is their skate and surf brands. They carry such brands as DC, Vans, Osiris, Etnies, Circa, Globe, Zoo York, and Hurley. They also carry tools for skateboards including decks, trucks, bearings, and wheels.

“Look at these shoes I got. These chucks cost me less than $20. I’ve been shopping at Shoe City since I was a kid living in Reseda,” said Raffi Lopez, 30.
Goodwill

Goodwill Photo by Shant Kazandjian
Goodwill Photo by Shant Kazandjian

(818) 773-8712
10170 Reseda Blvd.
Northridge, CA 91324
http://www.goodwill.org
Goodwill is my favorite place to shop for the “everyday clothes.” The prices are very reasonable and a cycle in the washer will get rid of any concerns that the clothes aren’t clean. Goodwill stores are independently owned, but most Goodwills carry the same clothes (jeans, business attire, baby and children’s clothing).

According to http://www.goodwill.org, the money spent at Goodwill goes to support job training and placement programs for people with disabilities and other disadvantages. “More than 84 percent of Goodwill’s total revenues are used to fund education and career services.”

“Instead of shopping at some other place and buying an outfit for $60, I can buy two or three for the same price and sometimes even cheaper,” said Jennifer Mejes.