NFL: Not for ladies? Yeah, right!

Two Green Bay Packers fans show their support for their team during a game. Photo Caption: Jeff Siner / MCT
Chicago Bears' fans take in the scene at Dolphins' Stadium at Super Bowl XLI in Miami, Florida, on Sunday, February 4, 2007. (David Eulitt/Kansas City Star/MCT)

It’s 10 a.m. on a Sunday in September and I am in the one place I would rather be over any other in the world. No, it isn’t standing in line for a semi-annual sale or in bed sleeping till noon. It’s lounging on my couch in front of the flat screen watching football — NFL football, mind you. Oh, and did I mention that I’m a girl?

Now I know what you might be thinking: girls watch football?  And the answer is yes.  And I’m here to answer more questions. Such as, “How does a guy get his girlfriend to stop bothering him to go out or spend quality time with her, when he’d rather watch the game?”  And, “How can a girl make watching the NFL interesting?” The answers will help guys get their girlfriends to sit still during the next gridiron showdown, and will help show girls that watching football doesn’t have to be boring.

I personally started watching football regularly when I was in high school and would attend the Friday night games. I’ll admit the reason I went to the games was because my crush was a linebacker, but hey, whatever gets a girl watching, right?  Anyhow, when I finally gave it a chance I found myself instantly hooked.

I think that the main reason girls aren’t interested in football is they don’t understand the basic rules and happenings of the game.  To overcome that, don’t ignore my Tip Number One: Explain and learn the basics. This might seem tedious, but if you stick to the bare minimum then it shouldn’t be too difficult. Try asking questions about the scoring system, what a first down is, why it’s important and the penalties that get called most often.

In the end, if she knows enough about the game, then she won’t constantly ask questions during the game.  But girls, this doesn’t get you off the hook.  You have to be willing to learn the basics before you decide you don’t like the game.

Moving on to Tip Number Two: Make a bet before the game! This will make it interesting for both sexes. When a girl knows she can benefit from watching an entire football game, then I can guarantee she will be willing to sit tight. And guys, chances are a football virgin doesn’t know which teams to bet on, so this highly benefits you as well.

I usually place postseason bets with one of my guy friends, agreeing to outrageous conditions if my team doesn’t win the Super Bowl and vice versa. But this also works on a week-to-week basis and on a smaller scale, with payoffs such as an exchange of back rubs or special dinners for the winner.

Lastly, Tip Number Three: Turn watching the game into a date. I think that the main reason girls loathe football so much is because of the attention it gets from their boyfriends. The solution? Take her out…just make sure there is easy access to a television. Places like BJ’s Brewery or Barney’s Beanery in Pasadena are great for hanging out with friends while enjoying the game. And ladies: please remember that it’s Sunday, so the same rules from Saturday night shouldn’t apply. Be happy that he’s making an effort to get off his butt.

Guys, face it, we as football fans have it totally made.  With the invention of DVR and the introduction of NFL Network and NFL Sunday Ticket, missing a game is almost impossible.

And girls, don’t blame a guy for wanting to stay home on a Sunday once in a while to watch the game. It’s usually one of the things, other than you, that he looks forward to all week, so cut him some slack.

It’s all about giving one’s partners chances. Guys, don’t assume that your girlfriend doesn’t want to watch. And girls, try actually watching an entire game before you decide you like it or not.