Spotlight: One student out of 36,000

Devan Baez is a fresman and a deaf studies major at CSUN. She currently dorms on-campus with her best friend and commutes home every weekend. "I like going home on the weekends...I can't never miss home," said Baez.  Katie Chavarin / Staff Photographer
Devan Baez is a fresman and a deaf studies major at CSUN. She currently dorms on-campus with her best friend and commutes home every weekend. "I like going home on the weekends...I can't never miss home," said Baez. Katie Chavarin / Staff Photographer

Devan Baez is a freshman deaf studies major at CSUN. Baez grew up in Monterey Park, Calif., but is currently living on campus with her best friend, but likes going back home to see her family.

“It’s my first time away from home, but I like going home on the weekends…I can never miss home,” Baez said.

She has a younger brother who lives back home and she enjoys going to church on weekends. When she’s home for the weekends, she works as a Sunday school teacher for her church. She also attends an on-campus Bible study group every Tuesday to keep her up to speed.

“I love teaching children. I want to become a teacher someday and teach them not only about school but about life,” said Baez said.

As a deaf studies major, Baez has learned to use sign language.

“I guess you can call it my creative side,” Baez said.

She first learned sign language back in high school, when she took it on for foreign language credit. In high school, Baez volunteered to help an organization called Rancho Sordo Mudo, a home and school for deaf children in Mexico.

“I learned a lot, and I hope to do something like that again,” Baez said.

She said she would like to do something like that again, but later in the future.

When Baez is not studying or going to church, she loves going to the beach and spending her time with her close friends.

During her free time, she likes to listen to music and have fun with her friends.

“We make music videos on YouTube,” Baez said with a laugh. “I like to sing, but I’m not in a band or anything.”

She also likes leopard prints and text messages.

“I love texting … I’ve dropped my phone in the toilet twice,” she said. “I don’t know how, but it still works.”

In the near future, Baez would like to see herself graduate from CSUN and would like to find a school where she can teach. She also has ambitions to travel everywhere and hopefully get married.

“I would like to be a teacher, and I’d like to get married sometime, but not too soon,” Baez said.