Spotlight: One student out of 36,000

Art major Desiree Haro loves Jacob Black’s happy-go-lucky personality and his muscular build. She also loves that he’s kind, genuine, sweet and protective in a good way. Photo Credit: April Sumague / staff reporter

Desiree Haro confesses that she is a “big-time wolf girl.” From “The Twilight Saga” series, her favorite character is Jacob Black, who happens to be a werewolf.

“I can talk about him all day,” the 19-year-old art major said.

Jacob Black, played by Taylor Lautner in the movie, is Bella Swan’s (Kristen Stewart) best friend. Their friendship grows stronger when vampire Edward Cullen (Robert Pattinson) leaves Bella. Jacob eventually transforms into a werewolf as Bella’s life becomes threatened and he starts to develop romantic feelings for her.

“People who read the series will understand why I love Jacob. He’s warm, literally. He’s kind, genuine, sweet and protective, but not in a creepy way. Edward’s way of protecting Bella is freakishly weird,” she said.

She also loves his happy-go-lucky personality and his muscular build.

Haro also admits that she is in love with the actor who plays Jacob.

“Taylor is super cute,” she said. “The first time I saw him on TV with his new body, I almost fell on the floor. It was the best improvement that I saw in a person, let alone a celebrity and it was all natural. He is the perfect Jacob Black.”

Haro said she went to great lengths to see Lautner in person. She tried to go to almost every event that Lautner attended in California.

In June, she stood for hours outside the Gibson Amphitheatre in Universal City to get a glimpse of Lautner on the red carpet for the 2009 MTV Movie Awards.

“My two girlfriends and I went there as early as 8 in the morning to get a good spot. When we got there, there were tons of people camped out, and I knew in an instant that they were there for ‘Twilight.’ They were all wearing Twilight-related shirts; they had banners and posters. My friends and I had posters to get signed. We were hopeful,” she said.

Although she didn’t get Lautner’s autograph, she was able to see and take pictures of him.

“He was so close, a few feet away close. I called out his name and he looked at me. I thought I was going to faint or something,” she said.

She also stood for hours outside the Gibson Amphitheatre in August for the 2009 Teen Choice Awards. During “The Twilight Saga: New Moon” mall tour this month, Haro joined a flock of fans at Hollywood and Highland to get a sight of her favorite werewolf.

The most unforgettable experience that she had was in March during the 2009 Comic-Con where the cast of “The Twilight Saga: New Moon” attended a panel discussion.

“It was crazy. My friends and I drove to San Diego on Thursday to camp out outside the San Diego Convention Center,” she said. “We had blankets, pillows, food and a portable DVD player to keep us occupied. Their panel wasn’t until Saturday but we were there on Thursday afternoon and there was already a line.

“I went to the extremes to see my favorite and it was all worth it. I am team Jacob and Team Werewolf all the way,” she said.

Haro said she is not ashamed of being a devoted fan and will do everything again to see and possibly meet the actor.

Haro is more than excited to see the second film installment of “The Twilight Saga” series which came out Nov. 20.