1 in 33,000: Taking care of business

Business marketing major, Brianna Wilson, balances school life with work and family life. Photo courtesy of Brianna Wilson.

Stephanie Bermudez
Staff Reporter

She trains new servers in addition to bartending at a local restaurant and she’s a market researcher for a local company, but her favorite job is being a nanny.

Brianna Wilson has worked many jobs in her lifetime but her favorite by far is taking care of three children three times a week.

“It’s the only job where I can really let loose,” said the 25-year-old business marketing major.

For as long as she can remember, Wilson has been working and has never actually held one job at a time.

“I like to be independent and in order to do that, I need to work hard,” Wilson said.

Even though Wilson is usually busy and therefore difficult to get a hold of, she always makes sure to set time aside for her family and often visits them in her hometown of Pismo, Calif.

Wilson grew up in Pismo, and after she graduated from high school she went on to earn her associates degree in business at a local community college.

Wilson took a break from school after that and worked on getting her real estate license.

“When I finally got my license, I worked and worked until I was promoted to lead sales agent,” she said.

Wilson said she loved her job because it kept her busy. Her duties included running the office, working with escrow, and working with buyers and lenders. It was not until the market started to decline that she decided to go back to school.

“I realized that I couldn’t always have a successful career in real estate so I needed to further my education,” she said.

Now, three years later, Wilson will be receiving a bachelor’s degree in business marketing and plans on getting her master’s degree.

When Wilson can spare time away from work, school, and her family, her favorite thing to do is exercise.

“I love to buy exercise videos and workout,” she said. “But my favorite form of exercise is hiking.”

Wilson said that in her free time she also likes to go out and see open houses.

“It takes me back to my real estate days,” she said.

Wilson hopes to someday get back into real estate, but for now she plans to stick with her marketing career. She also said she plans on being a nanny for as long as she can.

“When I have a family I’d like to be an appraiser, that way I could set my own hours and have enough time to spend with my family,” she said.