Ballet Folklorico brings a night of music and dance

"Ballet Folklorico Queztalli de Veracruz" will be performing at the Plaza del Sol Performance Hall April 30 at 8p.m. Photo by Dick Dickinson

Ballet Folklorico, a popular Mexican folk dance, is no stranger to the CSUN campus. There have been past events where this popular Mexican dance has come to CSUN students. At 8:00 pm on Friday, April 30th, there will be an event featuring the “Ballet Folklorico Quetzalli de Veracruz” at the Plaza del Sol performance hall in the USU

Pamela Bock, the Director of Marketing and Strategic Communications of the Valley Performing Arts Center, said the event is being brought to CSUN by the Plaza del Sol performance hall, which presents professional performances in a state of the art facility on campus

“The music will be performed live on authentic stringed instruments and the troupe will present dances from seven regions of Mexico including a distinctive version of La Bamba from their home state of Veracruz,” Bock said.

“Ballet Folklorico has traveled all over the United States but this is their first time performance at CSUN. This performance celebrates the 25th anniversary of the troupe and will highlight new program selections and include more costume changes to the troupe’s acclaimed stage performance,” Bock said.

Jamie Porras, 19, undeclared, is a dancer herself and has experience with the ballet folklorico dance.

“I’ve actually been a dancer for most of my life. My mom enrolled me in ballet folklorico classes when I was five and took lessons until I was 12 years old. I’m pretty familiar with the dancing techniques this dance requires. I can’t wait to see what their dance will be like, especially since I myself am from Veracruz, Mexico,” Porras said.

“CSUN and the Plaza del Sol has a long history of supporting Mexican dance,” Bock said.

In 2008, CSUN featured a Mexican folklore event called “Ballet Folklorico de Aztlan.” There have also been events featuring Mariachi music like the Mariachi Alma de Mexico.

Adrian Casas, a 23-year-old history major, has been attending events focusing on the Mexican culture for the past several years.

“I’ve been attending CSUN since 2006 and I’ve attended many events revolving Mexico’s music and art. I’m not Mexican, but I am Hispanic or Latino and I am very supportive of anything that has to do with Hispanic roots. CSUN has had really good events in the past. The Mariachi music is always really good. I’ve also seen other events with Ballet Folklorico and they’re always exciting and really entertaining. People always seem to enjoy these events,” said Casas.

Tickets to the ballet event are $45 with a 20 percent discount to faculty and staff, 50 percent discount to students, and 20 percent off to seniors.

For more information visit www.arts.valleyperformingartscenter.org.