Looking forward to a life of happiness and success

In her last semester at CSUN, Ashli Smith, 24, communications studies major, is eager to be done with school but is also nervously anticipating what the future holds for her.

After spending several years at her local community college, Smith said she finally got motivated enough to transfer to CSUN in the fall of 2007.

“The reason I chose communications studies as my major is because it’s very broad and there are many things you can do with it. I would like to work with people, and I think communication studies allows that more than other majors do,” said Smith.

Smith said she was unsure about what she wanted to study when she started college in 2004. She considered photography, a bad experience with that turned her off from that possibility. She also considered being a business major, but quickly realized she wasn’t cut out for the classes.

“When I graduate, I would prefer to work in public relations or marketing. I’m not 100 percent sure right now. I would just like a full-time job that pays decent. With the economy the way it is I think it will be difficult for me to find my dream job right away,” Smith said.

One of her favorite hobbies is going to the gym, the only way she feels she can relieve stress. But her favorite thing to do is go to dinner with friends on the weekends. She thinks it’s rewarding to be around people who keep her in good spirits.

“I recently got engaged, so my focus right now is my wedding and finding a home,” said Smith.

Family time is a must for Smith. She believes family is key to success in life.

“If given the option of having a family or being wealthy, I prefer family. They will always be there for you. Wealth is materialistic and can be taken from you in an instant,” said Smith.

One of the most unique things about Smith is that she doesn’t think like most people in their twenties. She would rather save her money for what may come in the future.

“I love to save money, whereas most girls I’ve come across love to spend it. I think more along the lines of a house and things like that as opposed to clothes,” Smith said, “saving money is like a game to me, I see how much money I can save with the amount of money I make. Not a lot of girls have the amount of money saved up that I do.”

In the next five years, Smith hopes to be married with at least one child.

“Hopefully working at a job that I love,” Smith added.