The journey to graduation as a parent

As graduation approaches in a week, I feel the need to reflect on the past when I thought this day would never come.

Heading into college as a teenage mother, I had my daughter and the thought of getting my education went out the door. I understood the sacrifice that I needed to make. So I stayed at work until two weeks before I had her and I went straight back to work a month after her birth.

At this time college was not on my list, but I always loved school and it lingered in the back of my mind. With the support from my parents, I made my way back to school. Being a part-time student at a community college and holding a part-time job I started on my journey back to higher education. To be honest, transferring did not cross my mind until my advisor sat me down me and said, “Look you are almost done, there is no reason why you shouldn’t transfer.” I told him okay and I applied to different universities.

My love for sports and journalism led me here to CSUN. And even though it took me awhile to get here, because I wanted to spend time with my daughter, I did it. I took on two part-time jobs and became a full-time student. With countless hours at school studying, going to sports events to cheer on my little one and/or report (yet leaving early to head back home to study for a early test in the morning) I have come closer to reaching my goal of graduating.

Of course there was those times I thought I couldn’t do it and thought I can never finish school. I stuck it out knowing that the end result was my daughter watching me walk across stage and know I did it not only for me, but for her. I know because I kept her in mind this whole time throughout this journey I would get through and I would make it.

So I urge you- you, the other parents trying to reach the same goal, should not give up and know that your little one is counting on you to support them and in the end. They’ll understand that you did it for the both of you. And trust me, it is a journey well worth it.