Let’s go Clubbing with the F-word, CSUN’s feminist club

Lets go Clubbing with the F-word, CSUNs feminist club
FWord
Members of the F-Word Club, a gender and women’s studies based group, discuss different ideas and events to promote awareness of social injustice among genders and empowering women. F-Word Club hosts their meetings every Tuesday at 2 p.m. in the Executive Board room, USU. Photo credit: Victoria Becerril / Daily Sundial

In the halls of Jerome Richfield, a short walk from the Gender Women’s Studies Department, sits the F-Word, a feminist awareness club. Formerly known as the Gender Women’s Studies Student Association, they spend their meetings planning ways to dismantle the patriarchy, establish gender equality, all while setting up monthly craft and quilting days.

Co-chairs Kendra Hamilton and Skylar Grogan say they are happy to create a safe environment for their fellow feminists.

“I often times feel that I’m alienated from my group of friends because they don’t have the same beliefs that I do, so it’s really nice to be in a room with people who are like-minded who don’t make rape jokes all the time or always call me a bitch when I express my opinions,” said Grogan.

The group dashes the preconceived notion of angry, no-nonsense feminists. Before their meeting, they spend time chatting about the latest episode of “Breaking Bad”, discuss homework and offer snacks to newcomers as the they enter the room.

“[We try] to get rid of all the negative stereotypes that feminists deal with all the time,” Hamilton said.

The group has recently been backed by the Feminist Majority Foundation (FMF) which is an organization that works to spread awareness of women’s rights. FMF backs “campus activism” by helping groups set up events and publicize their club and offer internships for students.

“I volunteered with the Feminist Majority Foundation last year,” Hamilton said. They’re back up support for anything we need.”

Grogan agreed that the group is helpful for student activists, recounting a time when they helped her start a club at Pierce Community College.

“They didn’t tell us you have to do x, y, z. They gave us the tools and never dictated what we had to do, which I really appreciate,” she said

Students are already flocking to join the club, their interest piqued.

“I was aware of feminist theory just from various websites I’ve been visiting, and I was interested so I decided to join the club. I’m looking forward to becoming more firm in my ideas,” said Leah Bandak, an undecided freshmen.

Some heard about the club through gender women’s studies classes.

“I took gender studies 100 and its really interested me,” said Brittany Parris, an undeclared sophomore. “I heard they had a club and I was so excited.  I’m looking forward to getting more involved and meeting more people.”

The club already has a few ideas to kick-off the fall semester. They are planning a screening of the documentary “Miss Representation” which discusses stereotypes of women in the media. The event will take place at the Women’s Center on Sept. 28. They are also starting to prepare for Feminism Week in November and hope to restart the department’s former magazine, “Roar”.

Through their campus efforts, the club plans to show the campus that feminism is not necessarily an expletive, according to Hamilton.

“Feminist is often (interpreted) like a bad word. We work to try and educate people about the gender binary and go beyond that.”