Fall fashion embraces the heat on CSUN campus

Fall Fashion for 2014 has the plaid pattern popular along with leather or pho leather accessories like a pho leather backpack for students. Photo Credit: Trevor Stamp/ Senior Photographer

additional reporting by Georgia Simone Levy, contributor

We already know that the heat is making statement here at CSUN, but is the style as hot as the heat?

Fall fashion is here, we’re just waiting on the weather to catch up. Hoodies, scarves, turtlenecks, and boots have been put on hold causing stylish students to dress accordingly to the fickle weather, all while incorporating that fall/winter-chic look.

“Because of the drastic temperature change, I keep a sweater with me everywhere I go,” junior english major Trina Teoh said. “I wear a sweater over my dress and usually take it off when I’m about to melt.”

Teoh is very fashion forward with her sense of style. We noticed her internationally designed outfit as she wore it with humble confidence, not quite realizing her impact as a trendsetter on campus.

“Alexa Chung, Anna Karina, and Martha Gellhorn are three people whom I’ve used elements of their style into mine. Finding the perfect balance between Menswear and Women’s-wear is important to me,” Teoh said.

Having figured out how to wear fall fashion trends on our hot CSUN campus, the fashionista shared a breakdown of how her style choices work.

“I usually incorporate a sweater and a pair of tights into my everyday outfits since it’s chillier in the mornings and nights,” Teoh said.

Trina wasn’t the only Matador who embodied that chic, eye-catching style.

That’s right: the guys can bring their style too.

Jonari Buenaventura, junior biology and med tech major, has a sense of style that shows off street-wear and how to be dapper this season.

Between working part-time at Topshop/Topman in West Los Angeles and by following personal styles of fashion bloggers on social media sites, he finds the time to incorporate those style muses into his daily wardrobe.

“I get my style inspiration from Tumblr, mostly streetwear,”  Buenaventura said. “Tumblr is a really big inspiration to me.”

Buenaventura said seeing photos of fashion icons in London and New York and the high fashion looks inspired him to try different things within his own closet.

“All white sneakers, over-exaggerated layering (but balance in this heat), brim hats, biker jackets, and tailored suiting– definitely need these for fall,” Buenaventura said

Being a local in the Northridge area and a master at “keeping it cool” while the weather has been heating up on campus over the years, Buenaventura gets his fashion inspiration on a daily basis and brings it right here to CSUN’s campus.

Buenaventura feels students should “step it up,” and explained why he feels they are lacking in expressing their fashion style.

“I would say that being college students it’s tough to be fashionable on campus. Just because all we care about or well at least I care about is studying, getting good grades, and just getting some good sleep!” Buenaventura said. “It’s tough dressing up for class when all I end up wearing are a pair of sweats or basketball shorts. But for the overall fashion statement on campus, I see a couple people working it out, but I’d say we could step it up.”

This is a call to action Matadors, show us your styles if you’d like to be featured on our next fashion column!

As Rachel Zoe once said, “Style is a way of saying who you are without having to speak.”

Stay tuned for our upcoming coverage on the highly anticipated Alexander Wang line for H&M set to come out November 6.