Student voices: best and worst of growing up with Halloween

Illustration by Kristine Delicana/ Illustrations Editor

Growing up means a change in the Halloween spirit. Things are never quite the same but college students find new ways to celebrate the holiday that are age appropriate.

“Now only a few houses give out candy since most of us are grown up. Although it’s bittersweet I still find fun things to do on Halloween,” said Kevin Kort, accounting major.

For some students the spirit of Halloween is all about curling up on a sofa and re-watching their favorite Halloween movies. Others like to be more active and go to haunted houses and theme parks for that extra thrill.

“I get such a joy out of scaring people,” Lauren Serino, 20, TV production senior said. “I like to prank people and I like to go to Halloween Horror Nights at Universal Studios and watch my friends get scared.”

Celebrating Halloween as an adult means indulging in the freedom to eat candy which was once discouraged by parents who warned against cavities and stomach aches.

“When I was a kid and I would go trick or treating, my mom would say ‘don’t eat too much candy’ and now I can eat whatever I want,” said Ron Hauser, 22, senior, accounting major.

So what are some of the best and worst things about Halloween? Well, for an adrenaline-packed holiday there may be just one drawback to the celebrations.

1. It’s officially Fall:

When Halloween comes around everyone knows it’s time for it to cool down and this change can be especially exciting.

2. Pumpkin carving…and pumpkin everything:

A favorite Halloween tradition is not only going to a pumpkin patch and picking your own pumpkin but also carving it into a unique design. Let’s not forget, however, all of the pumpkin…well everything, from coffees to candles and cookies.

3. Being someone you’re not:

Dressing up allows people a chance to be someone else for a day without being judged.

“You can confidently be someone that you’re not,” said Harmony Anderson, 23, senior political science major. “It’s fun because we can be really goofy, no one judges you on Halloween.”

4. Cranking up your creativity:

The pumpkin carving, the elaborate pranks, costumes and decorations all require special attention and creativity. With that extra spark of imagination, people are able to create unique costumes and decorate their homes with simple orange and black lights or smoke machines.

“I love seeing everyone dressed up in different costumes” said Iris Diaz, 19, sophomore child development major. “I love the colors and the pumpkins and just everything decorations.”

5. Indulging your sweet tooth:

The best thing, however, is the candy because who doesn’t love a sweet treat at the end of a fun-filled day.

But with all of this in mind, the number one complaint among college students also happens to be the inability to trick or treat.

“I thought of dressing up as a baby one year and then trick or treating,” said Hauser.

Regardless of what your plans are this time around, remember what the spirit of Halloween means to you. After all, it only comes once a year.