Love Strung by Threads

Photo courtesy of liawb.blogspot.com

Legs peered out from the apartment complex’s green dumpster. Police knocked on the bin, then flashed their lights inside. Woken up from her sleep, a woman climbed out barefoot dressed in torn clothing.

Angela Amirkhanian and her family stood in awe as the woman picked up and walked away, never to be seen again.

It wasn’t until later Amirkhanian realized the significance of her experience on that cold winter evening.

“It had to be a sign from the universe to do something, no matter how big or small my plan,” Amirkhanian said.

Some students find their passion in drawing, singing, or a playing a sport, but Amirkhanian, a CSUN alumni, found hers in spreading the gift of love to the homeless throughout Los Angeles during the winter season.

Amirkhanian is no stranger to homelessness and has always been affected by the issue. It’s seen on every other street and corner in her Hollywood neighborhood she said.

“I’ve always seen it with my eyes and my heart,” Amirkhanian said.

In 2012, Amirkhanian started an annual blanket drive for the homeless called Love Is a Warm Blanket.

The joy from the interactions with those receiving blankets is what makes it all worth it for her.

Every year, blankets pile up in gold polka dot donation boxes, waiting to make someone’s day.

Donations and personal distributions begin in October and run through January. Over the years, the drive has paired up with shelters like My Friend’s Place, Light House for Women & Children, and The San Fernando Valley Rescue Mission in efforts to warm those in need.

Natalie Kmbikian, a high school friend of Amirkhanian’s, said the organization was founded from the love and kindness of her heart that she hoped to share with the homeless.

“I announced it at my church and members donated,” Kmbikian said, while adding that she has contributed in donating and volunteering at distributions.

Cody Moore, a history major at CSUN, was first introduced to the organization by his girlfriend who donated after Thanksgiving in 2015.

“Angela’s drive has made me realize that I’m fortunate enough to contribute,” Moore said. “Giving a blanket away is the least I could do for a good cause.”

People can donate new or gently used blankets that have been washed to any of these three drop-off locations: The Valley Economic Alliance in Sherman Oaks, San Fernando Valley Rescue Mission in Northridge, and All State Insurance in Glendale.