Alternative recipes for a Thanksgiving meal

Photo credit: Leonie Jones/ Staff Reporter

Year after year the same old turkey, an occasional ham, stuffing, cranberry sauce, and the dreaded fruit cake are served at a traditional thanksgiving table. There are different ways to spice up a thanksgiving dinner that is just as delicious as a thanksgiving feast.

Going home may not be an option, so cooking dinner for one or some friends may have to be an option. Cooking a whole turkey can be a challenging task, and can even be a little expensive, so chicken is a good alternative.

Finding delicious meals that resemble a thanksgiving meal is not the easiest thing to do. Most recipes out there cater to those who are experienced in the kitchen, and the meals require so many ingredients someone can go broke on trying to complete one dish.

With all the obstacles in the way of having a thanksgiving like meal on a college student budget is not impossible. The first task on this mission is finding a main course of choice and finding the seasoning suitable for you.

Cooked turkey breast with gravy, and cornbread as a side can replace a whole turkey and cornbread stuffing from the traditional side. Cornish hens may seem difficult, but some things seem harder than they really are. Cornish hens require a little cleaning, seasoning and baking, the most work done is paying attention to the clock. These and other recipes can be a college student’s thanksgiving hero.

Taking control of thanksgiving is a rewarding experience if done well. The best part is having leftovers to last for the rest of the week. All college students know that being able to stretch things out is a must. Making a home cooked thanksgiving dinner sure beats having a frozen replica that last for a few minutes.

Cornish hens with mash potatoes and broccoli and cheese

1 package of Cornish game hens (2 in a packet)

2 tsp. butter

½ tsp. salt, pepper, seasoning salt, garlic powder, lemon pepper

1 package of broccoli

½ cup melted Velvita cheese

Box of instant potatoes

Directions

Unwrap hens and rinse thoroughly. Thoroughly pat dry with a paper towel. Place one teaspoon of butter inside the hen and season. Rub melted butter on the outside of the hen and season.Cover the hens with aluminum foil and place in oven at 325 degrees Fahrenheit for one hour. After one hour,  check to make sure the hens are fully cooked.While the hens are baking, put broccoli in pot filled with 2 tablespoons of water for steaming. Cover the pot, and put on low heat. When the broccoli is tender, add melted cheese and mix together. Instant potatoes have their own directions on the box.After the hens are fully cooked, take the foil off and put them back in oven for 15 minutes. Plate and enjoy.

Low Fat Brown Rice Stir Fry
(Recipe from Cooks.com)

• 2 c. brown rice, uncooked
• 2 chicken bouillon cubes
• 1 lb. boneless, skinless   turkey breast fillets, cubed
• 1 tbsp. olive oil (optional)
• 2 to 4 cloves garlic
• 1 onion, chopped
• 2 zucchini, chopped
• 1 lb. mushrooms, sliced
• Salt, pepper, and
Mrs. Dash
• freshly grated parmesan  cheese

Directions

Cook brown rice according to directions on package, adding the bouillon cubes to boiling water.
While this is cooking, saute garlic and onion in a non-stick skillet using water or olive oil.  Add cubed turkey, stirring until turkey is almost done (approximately 10 minutes).
Add mushrooms and zucchini, and cook another 10 minutes, stirring and tossing until desired texture of zucchini is obtained.
Season with salt, pepper, and Mrs. Dash.
When rice is done cooking, add turkey mixture to rice, tossing lightly.
Serve with grated parmasean cheese on top.
Serves 8.

Southern Fried Chicken

(Recipe form foodnetwork.com)

• 3 eggs
• 1/3 cup water
• 1 cup hot red pepper sauce (recommended: Texas Pete)
• 2 cups self-rising flour
• 1 tsp. pepper
• House seasoning, recipe follows
• 1 (1 to 2 1/2-pound) chicken, cut into pieces
• Oil, for frying, preferably peanut oil
House Seasoning:
• 1 cup salt
• 1/4 cup black pepper
• 1/4 cup garlic powder

Directions

In a medium size bowl, beat the eggs with the water.
Add enough hot sauce, so the egg mixture is bright orange.
In another bowl, combine the flour and pepper. Season the chicken with the house seasoning.
Dip the seasoned chicken in the egg, and then coat well in the flour mixture.
Heat the oil to 350 degrees Fahrenheit in a deep pot. Do not fill the pot more than 1/2 full with oil.
Fry the chicken in the oil until brown and crisp. Dark meat should take  about 13 to 14 minutes to cook, while white meat takes approximately 8 to 10 minutes.