Sundial Update

Chicano/a Studies pioneers to have contributions honored

Chicano/a Studies Professors Rodolfo Acuña and Raul Ruiz will be honored Saturday for their contributions to the empowerment of students at a conference of community college students at CSUN. The University of California’s Puente Program will recognize both men with its Lifetime Achievement Award at the annual Puente Transfer Motivational Conference, which is designed to encourage community college students to go on to four-year institutions and complete their educations. Acuña and Ruiz were selected for this honor based on their contributions to student empowerment efforts and their literary achievements, according to a statement from the university. Acuña will receive his award during a ceremony at 9:30 a.m. on the Oviatt Library Lawn. Ruiz will receive his award at 3:30 p.m., also during a ceremony on the Oviatt Library Lawn. The conference, which takes place from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. on the Oviatt Library Lawn and in Sierra Hall, also features workshops on such subjects as academic success in math and science, avoiding the pitfalls of transitioning to a four-year school, understanding and selecting the right option as a major, and financial aid.

Black Student Union plots out semester of awareness, activity

The Black Student Union is drawing strong attendance at meetings and events this semester, according to BSU president Brandy Wilson. With many new students coming in and many more returning from previous semesters, Wilson said that the group is excited about the year to come. Their agenda is full of activities that Wilson said are for people hungry to make a difference. She said the BSU will look to raise consciousness on campus as a group working together to spread knowledge about history with a common goal of logically using one’s mind and being active in the community. On Oct. 16 the BSU will host a celebration of the 10-year anniversary of the Million Man March. On Oct. 22 the BSU and Movimiento Estudiantil Chicano/a de Atzlan will join together for a police brutality march in Los Angeles. The ongoing demonstration, which has taken place every year since the early 1990s, will occur in Downtown L.A. The BSU will also pay homage to the past 37 years of the Pan-African Studies Department during a three-day celebration. The celebration will culminate with a formal dance on Nov. 4 that will be open to all students.