Sundial Update

Anthropology Dept. to hold

Anthro/Expo Fall 2005 event

The Anthropology Department and the Anthropology Student Association will host its Anthro/Expo Fall 2005 event on Dec. 7, featuring interactive presentations and lectures from current CSUN students and professors, alumni, professionals and scholars. The event will be held on the second floor of the Sierra Center from 10 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. According to organizers, the purpose of the Anthro/Expo Fall 2005 fair is to open a dialogue about cultural diversity and the use of anthropology for understanding the human condition. Panel discussion topics including applied anthropology, hearing from faculty members who have worked out in the field, anthropology and “ethnic enclaves,” and individual stories for student researchers, such as CSUN graduate students. From 12 p.m. to 1 p.m., visual exhibits will be on display, food will be served, and music played, with sessions resuming after the lunch break. From 1 p.m. to 2 p.m., a panel highlighting anthropological fieldwork in ethnic enclaves will include discussions on Tokyo, Chinatown communities, and how to locate ethnic enclaves without leaving your house, among others. The ASA, one of the primary sponsors of the event, is a student group organized to prepare anthropology students for future endeavors in the professional field of anthropology, to allow students to interact with each other on both a social and academic level, and to promote interaction between anthropology students and their professors.

– Ryan Denham

Planetarium to end semester schedule with two showcases

The Bianchi Planetarium in Citrus Hall, formerly Science Building 3, will host two shows in December before the end of the semester, both offering discounted prices to students. On Dec. 2 at 6:30 p.m., an Autumn Sky Show will be held, where audience members can see and learn about stars, constellations and planets visible in the sky during this time of year. At 7:30 p.m., a second show that highlights Astronomy and the Chinese Calendar will start. The show, which will be hosted by Paul Lee, physics professor at CSUN, will reveal the differences between the calendar used in the United States and the Chinese calendar. On Dec. 9 at 6:30 p.m., another Autumn Sky Show will be held, followed by a 7:30 p.m. showing of “Age and Evolution of the Earth: Three Revolutions in One Century,” which will describe how during the last century, geology underwent three separate scientific revolutions. The discussion will be led by author Jim Powell, director of the National Physical Science Consortium and a former president and director of the Los Angeles County Museum of Natural History. No shows will be held throughout the rest of December. General admission is $5 for one show and $8 for both shows. Student admission is $3 for one show and $5 for both shows. For more information, contact 818-677-5601, and for ticket information, contact 818-677-2488.

-R.D.

‘Just Desserts’ cooking class to

showcase recipes on Sunday

The Alumni Association will sponsor a “Just Desserts” cooking class this weekend that will be hosted by the head chef of the University Club. Marcy Newman, head chef at the Club, will guide participants in preparing “simple and sophisticated” recipes specifically for the holiday season, according to organizers. The cooking class will be held in the Marilyn Magaram Center in Sequoia Hall at 1 p.m. All levels of chefs are welcome, including beginners and experts. The cost if $35 for Alumni Association members and $45 for non-members, and those interested can contact the Alumni Relations office at 818-677-2137.

-R.D.

Corrections and Clarifications

In “CSU looks to boost minority enrollment,” published Nov. 23, Patricia Grizzle Huling was misquoted as saying “the feedback she is getting from counselors in Student Outreach and Recruitment Services at CSUN is that the majority of Latinos and African Americans would many times prefer jobs over a degree.” In fact, the feedback was from several counselors at local community colleges, not CSUN, who told Grizzle Huling that many blacks and Latinos are interested in job-orientated training rather than transferring to four-year colleges and earning degrees.