Tips for Coachella first-timers

2012 Coachella Valley Music and Arts FestivalThe 12th Annual Coachella Music and Arts Festival is approaching next weekend — April 12-14 and 19-21 — in Indio, Calif. Many CSUN students will be attending, so here are some important tips of what to expect while at one of the biggest music festivals of the West Coast, for all of you first- timers:

Admittance: 

Make sure you have your wristbands ready for admittance. Wristbands are void when they are tampered with or removed. The venue gates open at 11 a.m. and everyone is subject to be searched when entering. Kids 5 and under can enter for free. Day parking is also free.

Where to stay: 

Make sure that you have a tent. Most hotels nearby are extremely overpriced and/or booked, so plan accordingly to camp out with a friend. People are usually friendly enough to welcome strangers—so make friends and perhaps you’ll get an invite to stay at their tent. That’s one of the great things about this festival.

Who to see: 

Timing is everything. You want to plan out who you really want to see, what stage they’ll be on, and what time. There is a plethora of artists at this three-day festival and the neat thing about Coachella’s website is that you can build an interactive schedule so you don’t miss out on your favorite band. Go to www.coachella.com for more info.

Be smart and safe. Make sure you use the buddy system. Many of the attendees will be under the influence. Drugs and booze are inevitable, so have fun, but surround yourself with friends because you don’t want your parents to see a viral video of you kissing a tree before you get home. Also, remember that cell phone service might not be available all the time so make sure your BFF is by your side, always.

Food on location: 

Bring cash. Most of the food trucks are cash only so avoid wasting time at the ATM machines. Bring just enough to survive.

The essentials: 

Learn where the hydration stations are located. Yes, you’ll be at a kick-ass music festival for three days, but you’ll also feel like you’re in hell because of the heat. Bring your own reusable water bottle and stay hydrated.

Bring a sweater and warm pajama bottoms because though the day is extremely hot, the nights are freezing cold.

The festival does provide showers so make sure you come prepared and please be courteous — your makeup will probably look messy as soon as you put it on — so get in and out because no one likes waiting endlessly for a 10-minute shower.

Finally, have fun. It’s a music festival so fun should be the number one thing on the list. It’s a great festival full of surprises. Who knows, Tupac might make another appearance.

Coachella 2013 Week 1

Stay tuned here for updated social media coverage throughout the 2013 Coachella Music Festival, April 12th – 14th.

Storified by Daily Sundial· Sat, Apr 13 2013 17:10:42

Day 1

Hello everyone! #Coachella is officially open!! #weekend1 pic.twitter.com/j7HOwZbSyWCoachella
Daft Punk performs at this years Coachella
OMG OMG OMG DAFT PUNK IS AT #COACHELLA!!! twitpic.com/cixlblAlbert Lam
YouTube and Coachella.com provides live coverage
[LIVE] Can’t decide between Infected Mushroom or Blur. A burger should help make the decision, right? goo.gl/aXQkv #CoachellaLiveYouTube
Infected live stream from coachella starts any minute definitely something to seeJohnny Kochan
Coachella Live – Channel 1coachella
#Coachella day 1: magical. #weekend1 #fridaynightlightsPOPSUGAR
Some people prefer to ditch the hot weather and stay at home. 
Best Coachella experience….watching the bands live on my iPad while tucked into my comfy bed. Just saw the yeah yeah yeahs and now blur is playing. www.coachella.comHeather Sullivan
Watch Yeah Yeah Yeahs @YYYs performing live at @coachella now p4k.in/116429YPitchfork
Local DJs enjoy live bands from the KROQ tent
Watching Foals from my little "on air" Coachella area on KROQ. instagram.com/p/YBVwJ7Ns75/Stryker
Coachella hopes to break instagram record from last year.
More than 100K images tagged #coachella were uploaded by Instagram users April 13-22, 2012. Let’s beat it! pic.twitter.com/aQmhqrR1UDCoachella
What happens in Coachella, stays in Twitter, Facebook, Reddit, Tumblr & Vine.RainnWilson

Day 2

Day 3