For the Ladies: “The Unspoiled Star”
Muddled Mint + Ginger Aperol Spritz
Inspired by the Oscars’ most decorated female (8 awards), costume designer Edith Head, who said “I have yet to see one completely unspoiled star, except for the animals– like Lassie.”
A drink synonymous with a lively atmosphere and entertainment libations, “The Unspoiled Star” is a new twist on the Aperol Spritz, a classic Italian cocktail. Typically reserved as a before-dinner drink (aperitivo), the beverage’s orange notes pair well with the subtle bitterness from the mint and sourness imparted by the ginger.
3 parts Prosecco or 3 fluid ounces
2 parts Aperol or 2 fluid ounces
1 parts Club Soda or 1 fluid ounces
3-4 Ice Cubes
3 Mint Leaves
3 Ginger Slices
1 Blood Orange Slice, garnish
¼ teaspoon granulated sugar
1. Place the mint, ginger and sugar into an 8-fluid ounce highball glass, or a 16-fluid ounce balloon wine glass. Muddle the ingredients using a traditional, wooden muddler or with a wooden spoon.
2. Place the ice cubes in the glass with the muddled ingredients and pour in the Prosecco.
3. Add the Aperol, followed by the club soda and garnish with an orange slice floating on the surface of the drink.
For the Gentlemen: “The Cherry Milkshake”
Cherry-Infused Scotch + Plain Water
Inspired by the Oscar’s most decorated male (22 awards), director Walt Disney, who said “There’s nothing funnier than the human animal.”
Apparently, the revered film director/amusement park owner/entrepreneur never intended the Magical Kingdom to cater to the whims of adults, banning alcohol within its realm. However, somebody must have put two and two together and realized that a day filled with screaming toddlers requires at least a 3-finger pour of quality scotch to calm the nerves.
3 parts Single-Malt Scotch or 3 fluid ounces
1 part Plain Water*, cold or 1 fluid ounce
*Water can be substituted with 2 Ice Cubes, whole or crushed
2 Dark-skinned Cherries (Ulster or Viva), pitted + mashed
1. Place the pitted and mashed cherries into a tulip glass or a thick-bottom whiskey glass and pour in the scotch; allow the flavors to infuse for a few minutes.
2. Add the cold water or ice cubes and gently agitate the beverage by twirling its contents within the glass in a circular motion.