Apps by major: an interactive way to study

Cramming for an exam the traditional way demands traditional tools. You’re staring at a computer screen then your eyes start to glaze over, you’re hunched over a textbook then your shoulders start to ache, you’re typing at what seems like a hundred words a minute and start wondering if you’re experiencing carpal tunnel. With more classes implementing iPads into their curriculum, students have additional options to get creative with their study methods.

It should be no surprise to find that there’s an app to help you transition to a fresh approach to studying. Apps can help organize, prioritize and provide you with useful research tools applicable to your major. These on-the-go study tools are convenient and make your time productive if your day consists of a visit to the DMV or waiting at the doctor’s office. The following apps provide you with the handy options to flip through flashcards, power through quizzes, access pre-made study guides and familiarize yourself with programs beneficial to your future career.

Art:

Tayasui Sketches - Sketches offers a variety of tools, brushes, colors, text, paper grain, layers and shapes allowing users to sketch out ideas effortlessly.
Tayasui Sketches

Tayasui Sketches (Free): Sketches offers a variety of tools, brushes, colors, text, paper grain, layers and shapes allowing users to sketch out ideas effortlessly. Brushes include a pencil, fineliner, felt pen, oil pastel, watercolor brush and filling tool all of which create realistic strokes. The sketches can be conveniently stored in a folder or book accessible at any time. Get a head start on developing your portfolio and stand out from the crowd by making your art entirely on an iPad.

Other apps: Procreate 2, Inspire Pro and Brushes 3

Athletic Training:

Visual Anatomy Lite (Free – Android Compatible) – An anatomy reference with full descriptions of the muscular system. This app includes over 120 high resolution images and offers quizzes after each chapter. Visual Anatomy Lite is recommended by US licensed doctors on Health Tap and described as an ideal learning tool for physicians, educators or professionals.

Other apps: Athletic Trainer and Pocket Anatomy

Communication Disorders:

Verbally (Free) – A communication tool designed for people with speech disabilities caused by  autism, apraxia, ALS, stroke,  Parkinson’s disease, Cerebral Palsy and muscular dystrophy. It helps users to communicate effectively when working with individuals with speech disorders.

Deaf Studies:

ASL Dictionary ($4.99 – Android Compatible) – Individuals of all levels are able to learn from over 4,800 featured signs. Complemented by videos which have a unique ability to slow the speed of motions.

English:

OmmWriter - The om-like features of this app create a distraction free environment for writing and thinking.
OmmWriter

OmmWriter ($4.99)- Sometimes the simplest interface can encourage a steady stream of writing. The om-like features of this app create a distraction-free environment for writing and thinking. From the audio to the visual effects, OmmWriter’s aim is to promote creativity via chromatherapy techniques and sound effects.

Other apps: WordBook

History:

BBC History Magazine ($4.99/month) – This app is great for history buffs as it explores a wide range of topics and key events of the past. Each issue also gives a historical background of current events.

Other apps: History

Journalism:

AudioNote ($1.99 – Android Compatible): Take notes while recording audio.  The notes serve as key points which link to the point where it was recorded. Journalism majors can benefit from this app by using it for interviews.

Other apps: Bamboozle, Dragon Dictation and Easy Chart

Math/Engineering:

Quick Graph (Free) – A powerful graphic calculator that makes it easy to enter and edit equations and visualize them. App is capable of solving trigonometric functions and inequalities, 2D Tracing and evaluating expressions with variables. It also includes an evaluate feature and a library where you can store commonly used equations.

Other apps: RealCalc

Music:

Tempo Advance ($3.99 – Android Compatible) – Includes auto setlist advancement, accelerando, ritardando and playback tracking allowing you to add accents, change sounds and develop songs with varying tempo, time signatures and rhythms.

Other apps: Metronome, MyRehearsal and iStrobesoft

Political Science:

Show of Hands - The interactive app gives greater insight to current events with the intention of broadening your perspective.
Show of Hands

Show of Hands (Free – Android Compatible)– The interactive app gives greater insight to current events with the intention of broadening your perspective. Show of Hands allows you to express your opinion, answer questions, observe how others respond and discuss critical issues. These features provide a unique platform for data analysis.