CSUN building marshals trained to protect the community

Melisa Fumbarg
Kit Espinosa, emergency management coordinator for CSUN Police Department Services, trains volunteers on what to do during emergencies. The training held on Sept. 16 is one of many that are held throughout the year. Photo Credit: Melisa Fumbarg/ The Sundial

Each year a group of volunteers participate in a rigorous training program aimed at protecting CSUN and the surrounding community.

These soon to be building marshals, are taught through the Building Marshal Program sponsored by the Department of Police Services which shows them how to prepare for emergencies, assist in evacuations, drills and actively help promote safety around campus.

This was a first time scene shop supervisor of the department of theatre, Efren Delgadillo attended training.
“I want to be a role model,” Delgadillo said. Delgadillo hopes to be a role model for students and help others stay safe during emergency situations, which requires a selfless attitude.

Julie Hunter, assistant to the associate dean in the undergraduate studies department and a veteran to the training program. Hunter has been involved in the program for over seven years, but this year she was assigned a different building to supervise.

“The main thing is that if something is going on you are active and know what to do…be proactive and help others” Hunter said.

Fortunately, CSUN hasn’t had too many emergency situations, but building marshals always provide that extra safety net in case a hazardous situations arises explained Kit Espinosa, emergency management coordinator, and trainer for the program.

“…They come to training without any incentives,” said Espinosa regarding the volunteers. “[They] like to be connected and help other people.”

Building marshals take pride in their work and their buildings on campus.

The volunteers attended one of many training sessions occurring throughout the semester this September where they were informed about preparing and responding to emergencies.
They were taught about emergency preparedness and how to respond during a fire, earthquake or drill.

Building Marshals are currently preparing for the October 16th Shake Out, the statewide earthquake drill. CSUN students are encouraged to participate to broaden their knowledge about earthquake preparedness.