CSUN’s Rohr Chabad House begins celebrating the High Holy Days

Cal State Northridge is hosting a variety of Jewish events in celebration of the High Holy Days this week.

Friday was the start of Yom Kippur, where the Rohr Chabad House at CSUN hosted an event for the start of fasting.

At 5 p.m. today, Chabad House will be breaking the Yom Kippur fast with a special service and dinner in celebration of the end of the holiest day of the year.

Wednesday night marks the start to Sukkot, a seven-day celebration commemorating the 40-year period in which Jews lived in Egypt and were provided for and protected by God. Guests will dine on sushi, soup and salad at the Chabad House.

At 7 p.m. on Oct. 10, a Shabbat dinner under the stars will be held at Chabad House. It will feature a five-course home cooked dinner. Guests will sing songs and fellowship.

On Oct. 13, Sukkot will move to the front of Oviatt Library, on the Matador Walkway, for students to stop by and take part in festivities and prayer.

Oct. 15 is the last day and the biggest celebration of all: it is the Simchas Torah, the reading of the final chapter culminating a full year and the completion of having read all chapters of the Torah every Saturday.

There will be dancing and singing, and the event is open to the entire CSUN community.

Rohr Chabad House is at 17833 Prairie St. in Northridge. For more information, call (818) 885-5770 or visit www.chabadcsun.com.