Matador Briefs

Men’s Soccer

CSUN player called up to play for U.S. under-23 squad

Sean Franklin, senior defenseman, received the call to represent the U.S. under-23 team. The team of 18 players traveled to Japan and tied the Japanese under-22 men’s squad yesterday 0-0. They will then face a J-League team on Feb. 23 to conclude the two-game tour. Franklin played all 90 minutes of the game.

This is not the first time Franklin has played for the U.S. In spring 2004, Franklin played for the U.S. men’s under-20 squad.

Though recognized for his solid play at defense, Franklin did score a goal and had four assists last season.

Baseball

Matadors greet Japanese with 14-2 exhibition win

Rikkio University made a stop to Northridge to visit and play the Matadors. CSUN did not take it easy on their guests, with the team notching 18 hits and 14 runs to rout Rikkio 14-2.

Jason Dabbs, Brian Slover and Anthony Reed each had three hits to help propel the Matador offense. Head coach Steve Rousey decided to go with a different pitcher each inning to give them a try.

The Matadors’ next opponent will be the Oklahoma State Cowboys this weekend. They will play a three-game series starting this Friday at 2:00 p.m.

Men’s Basketball

Northridge hangs on to get road win at South Dakota State

Thomas Shewmake continues to contribute to the team, making two clutch free throws with twenty seconds left to give CSUN a 64-63 road win over South Dakota State. Shewmake finished the game with a double double, scoring 13 points and 12 rebounds. Junior Calvin Chitwood came off the bench and scored a team-high 18 points. The Matadors improved to 13-14 on the season and will return to the Matadome on Saturday to host Pacific at 2:05 p.m.

Swimming

Teams competing in conference championship

Both men’s and women’s swimming teams are currently competing in the Big West Conference championships. The tournament will be going on at the Belmont Plaza in Long Beach until Saturday.

Women’s Basketball

Matadors go on the road this weekend

The Matadors will be playing Pacific on Saturday at the Alex G. Spanos Center. The match will be one of the final three conference games. The Matadors are currently third in the Big West at 7-4.

Water Polo

Northridge on a four-game skid

The water polo team is currently on a four-game losing streak, having lost to Long Beach State, Santa Clara, San Jose State and

Stanford. The team will go on the road on Saturday to face Cal State Bakersfield and Cal Baptist.

Softball

Matadors come home after a rough road trip

The Matadors are already struggling in the young season. CSUN is currently 2-5-1 after 8 non-conference games.

All their games have been on the road so far, but they finally come home on Tuesday to host Siena College.

The small time off may give the Matadors time to work on their game and prepare better for their home season opener.