Letter to the editor

Dear Editor,

In response to the Daily Sundial’s February 26, 2007 publication of the opinion article titled “Better things to judge by than appearances” (12), the author alluded to the idea that individuals should not judge one another, especially based on appearance or other superficial factors, even in the business place. However, the title itself suggests that there should be judgment, but that the judgment should be made only after individuals develop friendships versus acquaintances.

The fact of the matter is perception is reality. Many individuals today are still surprised by people who judge others based on appearance. It may be a difficult idea to cope with, since it is ideal to believe that individuals are not judged merely by their appearance. However, today’s society is very judgmental and rightfully so, in certain situations.

The business world is both extremely competitive and unfair at times. For these reasons alone, contenders should strive to become competent businessmen and women. Like with any profession, there is an ideal image of what a businessperson should be. While this may seem unfair and cruel to a large part of society, it may make perfect sense to professionals who worked hard to achieve their success. In order for businesspeople to be credible, they need to look the part.

Dieticians who may be overweight may not be credible just like the CEO of a company who is dressed in jeans and a t-shirt may not be credible either. Even real estate agents have a certain image, created by society that they should embody in order to be taken seriously and considered successful.

There is a certain level of judgment passed among a casual social setting that is both unnecessary and cruel. However, it is crucial for these judgments to be passed in the workplace because companies are making investments by hiring individuals. If potential employees cannot do as much as dressing professional to communicate to potential employers that they do want the job and that they are serious, mature individuals who can handle the particular job, then maybe they should be turned away.

As a business management major who works in a professional business environment, I know that co-workers and colleagues judge letters, memos and portfolios by their mere appearance. Consequently, all other aspects of business are judged by its cover, including the workforce.

While society may be cruel in judging unfairly at times, many think that it is a matter of having self pride and presenting yourself as a credible member of society who wants to be taken seriously. The idea of not judging a book by its cover may be an excellent theory while visiting the library, but definitely not a useful guideline for the real world.

Mayra Mata Business Administration Major