Career Center holds Pathway Fair at Matador Square for students

The Career Center hosted Pathways Fair in which students had the chance to visit different booths to obtain valuable information concerning choosing a major based on ones strengths and searching for jobs and internships. Students received a stamp for every booth visited and were able to redeem them for free food and prizes. Photo credit: Ana Rodriguez / Daily Sundial

CSUN’S Career Center hosted their Pathways fair on Tuesday morning at the Matador Square.

Pathways is a program coordinated by the career center to help students determine which occupations fit their individual characteristics. The program also helps students to find educational opportunities in their field, discover internships, networking opportunities and how to further advance their careers.

Multiple tents were set up, each representing one of the four pathways in the Career Center’s Pathways program: discover yourself, research academic programs, explore occupations, and plan your future.

“The three basic things every career theory is based on are: know yourself, know the world of work, and integrate the two,” said Ryan Adams, a Career Center representative and college counseling graduate student.

Students at the Pathways Fair received a stamp for every booth they visited and were able to redeem them for free food and prizes. Ana Rodriguez / Daily Sundial

Each tent had Career Center representatives explaining and demonstrating how to utilize pathways to it’s fullest potential which allows students to understand and take advantage of this free resource.

“Pathways is like a roadmap except it doesn’t give you directions, it’s all about self-discovery. You’re walking on a path on your journey, it’s up to you where you want to go.” said Adams. “I think everyone should be using Pathways, I mean everybody.  I don’t care if you know your major or are still discovering, this resource is huge!”

As an incentive to learn and inquire about Pathways, stamp cards were handed out to all attendees and stamps were given at each of the four tents after a small demonstration of each aspect of the program.

Stamps could then be redeemed for food, drinks and an opportunity to spin the prize wheel, which guaranteed a prize ranging from stress balls, highlighters, flash drives and travel mugs.

Plenty of students were walking around the fair discovering the Pathways program as well as getting more insight on their own path as they migrated from tent to tent.

Stephanie Solalindez, a freshman accounting major, had her eyes opened by Pathways and the fair.

“Before I came here I thought accounting was the only thing I was going to do in my life but after finding out more, it’s interesting to see what other careers are out there for me,” said Solalindez. “I really recommend others check out Pathways.”

While some were finding out new potential career opportunities, others had their ideas and beliefs reassured.

“Pathways has helped me solidify the major that I want, and helped make it more evident to me that I want to go into that field,” said Nicole Abboud, a freshman screenwriting major.

Pathways is a fairly recent program that has been around for about two years. The Career Center is trying to market and advertise this vital resource as best they can.