Letters to the editor

The board of the Muslim Student Association recently wrote to the Sundial that they condemn terrorism in all forms. I wonder then if the MSA would recognize Israel’s right to exist, condemn Hamas and Hezbollah as terrorist groups, and denounce the rocket attacks and suicide bombings those groups have launched against Israeli civilians? This is something that other Muslim groups always waffle on after they “condemn terrorism in all forms.” ? Dylan Boggs Senior, journalism

A “Letter from the Editor” in the opinion section of the Sept. 11 issue was published regarding an apology to the Middle Eastern people for the United State’s military involvement in their region. My response to it is the following: I too feel guilt for the result of our invasions and desire nothing short of peace in the Middle Eastern region. However, with all due respect, the perspective the editor represents in his letter is exactly why our nation’s intrusive foreign policy has developed. The idea that we are powerless to influence our government is one that I refuse to accept, and to preach that message in a public venue such as a school newspaper is an attack on the core principles of our nation. Keep in mind that we elect the individuals in power, and we, as a nation, fall for the opening rhetoric that launches these vicious campaigns in the first place. Instead of blaming the government and adopting an arms-crossed mentality, how about writing letters to our representatives? Why not coordinate rallies to march against damaging policy-making? Have you tried building an anti-war website to gather support for your message? The possibilities are endless! ?Granted, there are individuals who have already taken these kinds of initiatives and have seen minimal results, but if we simply give up and stop applying pressure to the policy makers that we ourselves have control over, then we are ultimately responsible for all the needless bloodshed. Vietnam is a great example of the American people’s anti-war efforts not going in vain. The Iraq war can be the next.

Andrey Seas CSUN Junior

For the past few years on every anniversary of 9/11 the Opinion Editor has written an irrational venomous Anti-American screed. One must ask: were these opinion editors raised by wolves? ?Are they so devoid of common decency to not know that anniversaries of a trauma like 9/11 are not the time to apologize to the very enemy and bestial culture that killed 3,000 Americans. The Talmud says, “Those who are merciful to the cruel will inevitably be cruel to the merciful.” Mr. Kammer seems merciless towards his fellow Americans, it’s as if he could care less if you or I lay dead tomorrow from a Jihadist massacre. Perhaps Mr. Kammer would simply be happier if he lived in an America that was not a world power; more like Finland or Costa Rica. An America that is out of history.?Now there may be nothing inherently wrong with that wish,?but that is simply not what America’s role in world history has been. Thankfully, America is in history, in fact, America makes history. The cost of being in history is extremely painful, but for some peculiar reason the American soldier has always been willing to risk his life for a cause (a willingness to sacrifice which confuses me). It is obvious that professors and universities have atrociously failed to explain to the Mr. Kammers of our society that America is a salvific force in world history; a bulwark against monsters like the Islamic terrorists, who in their very worst incarnation murdered in cold blood 200 children in Beslan, Russia. Behold now and tremble at what the Dr. Frankensteins of academia with their propaganda and brain washing have wrought. If Mr. Kammer were to succeed someday in turning America into a Finland or Costa Rica, they would very soon understand the fatal consequences to history and mankind. ? Though maybe not, since the odds are Mr. Kammer would be right there with his bloody pen to record our lovely destruction.

Wayne Cohen Information Desk Supervisor

I feel that I must apologize on behalf of my country, The United States of America, for portraying itself as a tyrant to the world for Mr. Kammer, the Opinion Editor of your newspaper.? Obviously he and I may not see eye-to-eye, but lately things seem to be getting out of hand. ?He is an obvious client to the utopian view that everything in the world is perfect. ?I am here to inform him, that it is not.? ?It is understandable and obvious that the extent of his world has been the four eggshell colored walls of a classroom. I am here to enlighten him that we, the United States of America, are not as evil as he thinks that we are. ?The Iraq question is a long and complex issue that I do not believe will be answered for neither him nor I in the near future.? However, the War is on going, I know because I was there for its offset in March of 2003.? ?We can go back and forth about international law and his understanding of it.? We can also deluge into a thoughtful discussion over the “Law of Land Warfare,” which is actually a U.S. Army Field Manual [FM 27-10] which explicitly says in black and white what is right and what is wrong when conducting war by the United States of America, maybe we should ask him to do a little research before he spews such ludicrous accusations about his military. ?I can go ahead and save him the trouble and tell you that it is not allowed and is not practiced by the United States Military despite what he may think is going on outside the magical world of academia.? ?Where can you find in writing, the rules of war that people of the Middle East have published?? Where is it okay to fly planes into buildings, or strap bombs on men, women, and even children and walk through an open market or school and murder innocent people in the middle of Baghdad?? ?These are purposeful acts by the people of the Middle East, the accusations he spelled out in his letter about his military can be found upon as accidents if they do happen, and if these acts were to be found as purposeful, then they are prosecuted against.? You can not say that about suicide bombers. ?Because you see, I saw through his published letter addressed to the people of the Middle East.? It was an arbitrary attempt to take a stab at the Iraq War, and was a very weak and vague endeavor to get his opinion across on behalf of the American people. ?I want to help him though.? He asked the question: how you can control a democratic government that doesn’t listen to the majority of its people? It’s called voting.? ?You as the people of the United States have the option to vote, or not to vote.? If the actual majority of Americans wanted us out of Iraq now, then we would be out of Iraq now.? With that said, I have not seen a real meaty attempt by Congress to stop funding its soldiers and pull the rug out from under there feet, nor have I seen a massive attempt by Americans take to the streets like they did in Vietnam and stop this war. ?I take offense to his stance on representing me as a citizen of the United States with his false accusations and his lies at an attempt to get his political agenda across to the readers of his letter, the people of the Middle East. ? Jason Henke Senior Political Science Major, CSUN

Do you have more to say than a comment? Want any feedback from the writer? Story ideas? Head to The Gripevine.