Weekly Editor’s Picks: Sean Penn, Peaches, “Alien” Screening

Brayden Yu, 2, left, and his sister Irene, 4, climb the “Urban Light ” sculpture at LACMA on Wilshire Blvd. in Los Angeles, October 13, 2011. (Wally Skalij/Los Angeles Times/MCT)

Oct. 5

Boys Noize @ The Mayan

German Producer Alexander Ridha, AKA Boys Noize, will be playing at The Mayan Theatre, bringing his electro-house style of the mid-00’s to 2016 Los Angeles. Throughout several albums and EPs, Boys Noize was still able to stay true to his own sound. This show starts at 9:30 p.m.

$35

The Mayan Theatre

1038 S Hill Street Los Angeles CA 90015

Oct. 6

An Evening with…Sean Penn @ LACMA

Sean Penn will perform a reading from the audiobook, “Bob Honey Who Just Do Stuff,” Thursday night at LACMA. The book’s author is Pappy Pariah, which could be a pseudonym for Penn or just an interesting name of someone else. After the reading, you’ll be able to talk to Penn and and immerse yourself in the weirdness that is this book. The event is at 7:30 p.m.

$25

LACMA

5905 Wilshire Boulevard Los Angeles CA 90036

Two-Party Animals @ Hollywood Improv

Presented by Writer’s Bloc, the politically-driven show features comedians like Alonzo Bodden, Greg Proops, Ben Glieb and show creator Patt Morrison. So if you’re looking for more political and election antics and can’t wait until the next debate, make a stop in Hollywood on Thursday at 8:00 p.m.

$20

The Hollywood Improv

8162 Melrose Avenue Los Angeles CA 90046

Oct. 7

Peaches @ The Wiltern

Formerly known as Merrill Nesker, Peaches will bring her electronic and sexual show to Wilshire Boulevard. Having songs featured in “Mean Girls,” “Lost in Translation,” and “The L Word,” the artist is ready to blur the lines of gender in her upcoming performance. She will also be performing on Saturday October 8 at Pappy & Harriet’s. The show on Friday starts at 7:00 p.m.

$25-$30

The Wiltern

3790 Wilshire Boulevard Los Angeles CA 90010

You Can’t Touch My Hair: And Other Things I Still Have to Explain @ Skylight Books

Stand-up comedian Phoebe Robinson and Michaela Watkins discuss Robinson’s new book Friday night at Skylight Books in Los Feliz. Robinson’s book, which is a collection of essays, tackles topics like race and gender in the entertainment industry as well as the beauty and politics of black women’s hair. Robinson was a consultant for the third season of “Broad City” and Watkins is on Hulu’s “Casual.” The reading starts at 7:30 p.m.

Free

Skylight Books

1818 N Vermont Avenue Los Angeles CA 90027

Oct. 8

Los Angeles Anarchist Bookfair @ Cielo Galleries

Radicals unite! After a three-year absence, the Anarchist Book Fair is making its way back to Los Angeles. The theme of the event is gentrification, displacement, and ecological crisis. The event is all day and is family friendly. It will feature speakers and workshops, along with a musical performance by DJ Moondropcough. Workshops include topics like becoming an “Urban Soul Farmer” and books for sale will be from small presses and small organizations. The event is from 11:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m.

Free

Ciello Galleries/Studios (across from USC)

3201 Maple Avenue Los Angeles CA 90011

“Alien” @ The Electric Dusk Drive-In

If you’ve never seen Ridley Scott’s “Alien,” consider your chest lucky. This iconic movie, which casts Sigourney Weaver, is an essential for the Halloween season. If you like handsome and dry aliens who are generally friendly and courteous, this will be a terrible movie to watch. So make the drive to Glendale to catch this Scott joint, and you’ll probably be making Alien jokes on the ride home. The movie starts at 7:30 p.m. At the Electric Dusk Drive-In in Glendale.

$10 for Lawn seating, $14 for cars, and $60 for VIP seating.

Electric Dusk Drive-In

2930 Fletcher Drive Glendale CA 90065