ICYMI: CSUN men’s volleyball defeats the alumni team in five sets

Avis Green spikes the ball at CSUN alumni game on Nov. 5. Photo credit: Blanca Palacios

The CSUN men’s volleyball team showcased their new 2017 squad with a five set win over the CSUN alumni volleyball team 25-22, 23-25, 25-23, 21-25, 15-11.

The game was competitive, but the event was more a celebration of the volleyball program as the two teams engaged in friendly banter throughout.

The alumni held their own and had some impressive rallies that challenged this year’s team. The exhibition was a good assessment of where this Matador team currently stands.

“We’ve had four weeks of practice now, we just completed our forth week,” said head coach Jeff Campbell. “So you know the difference between the alumni is physical. Sometimes they are not in shape but their knowledge and their experience really goes a long way, so we’ve got some young guys on our team but I still think that we played pretty well, it was a good match.”

The alumni team included several former All-Americans that made their own mark in the CSUN history books as Bob Samuelson (1988-1989), Raphael Tulino (1988-1991), Isaac Knuebel (2005-2008), Eric Vance (2006-2009), and Kevin Mckniff (2007-2010) all participated in the event.

CSUN outside hitter junior Arvis Greene, who had a strong showing last week at the USC fall tournament, led the Matador’s in kills in the match. His head coach expects more of the same from Greene as he and the team continue to improve as the season progresses.

“Arvis Greene is just an outstanding player, he did great for us,” Campbell said. “We have improved a lot every single day, we are improving and it’s nice to see.”

Immediately following the match, the former and current players shook hands and took a group photo, culminating a fun day of volleyball. The two teams then headed to a mixer to celebrate just outside the Matadome.

The Matador’s have another preseason tournament next week as they travel to UCLA to participate in the all day tourney Nov. 12 at the SAC gym. The tournament will begin at 2 p.m.