Matadors win over Fullerton after four matches

CSUN women’s volleyball prepare a block against UCSB on 9/30/16. Photo credit: Alejandro Aranda

The CSUN women’s volleyball team traveled to Cal State Fullerton on Tuesday night and lost in four sets (25-18, 25-10, 21-25, 25-16).

In the first set, the Matadors got their first point after a kill by junior Nickeisha Williams

Throughout the match, Julie Haake and Aeryn Owens both had 14 kills to lead the Matadors to victory. Haake hit .323 and had 31 swings. Freshman Morgan Salone hit .545 and had seven kills.

During the first two sets CSUN won 25-18 and 25-10. In the second set the Matadors took a 13 point lead over the Titans after a kill by Haake and an assist from junior Lauren Conati.

The third match began with a kill from Owens, but an error attack gave the Titans the first lead of the night (3-4) over the Matadors. Cal State Fullerton did not have much of an advantage over CSUN. The match remained a close call until the final match point when Cal State Fullerton’s Aniya Henry gave them the winning point after a kill.

In the last set the Matadors came back strong and were able to get a lead over the Titans. Two kills in a row by Owens gave the Matadors the victory.

After the win over Cal State Fullerton, the Matadors improved their overall record to 9-16 and 5-8 in the Big West Conference.

The Matadors return home on Saturday, Nov. 12 to host Long Beach State at 7 p.m.