Krohn is now all-time career points leader

Originally Published November 7, 2007

Senior forward Kristy Krohn ended her collegiate career in fashion, becoming the all-time career points’ leader with her goal in the 65th minute of a 1-1 draw against Cal Poly San Luis Obispo (7-9-2, 5-2-1). Six other seniors played their final collegiate game for the Matadors. With the tie, Northridge ends its season on a four-game unbeaten streak, improving its record to (5-10-3, 2-4-2).

Krohn scored her goal off a cross from junior midfielder Tryna Tafoya. It was Krohn’s fourth goal of the season and the 18th of her career. She finishes the season with ten points, giving her 45 points for her career, one better than both Brianna Monka and Erin Broadwell, who now sit tied for second on the all-time career points list.

The excitement was quickly stifled, however, as Cal Poly tied the match less than 2 minutes later on a goal by Julieanne Grinstead.

Although neither team scored again, the Matadors had plenty of opportunities late in the game and during both overtime periods, but couldn’t finish them off. The Matadors out-shot the Mustangs 17-12. Freshman goalkeeper Ivette Esqueda played the entire 110 minutes between the pipes and made three saves.

The game was very physical throughout, with 28 combined fouls called and four yellow cards shown. The Mustangs were responsible for three of those yellow cards, while Matadors sophomore midfielder Sydney Vermillion was shown a yellow card in the 83rd minute.

For seniors, Evy Cedillo, Rachel Gillis, Rilesha Haynie, Shanna Hudson, Krohn, Susie Mischenko, and Beth Wagenhoffer, it was more than just the last game of the season. It was farewell to their collegiate careers. The seven girls were distinguished, as the team, fans, and athletic department celebrated the end of their careers during senior day festivities before the game.

“There are a lot of emotions right now,” said Krohn, “but the most prevalent one is that I am really upset. It’s sad that I can’t represent Northridge anymore.”

Mishenko was also very emotional after the game, saying that soccer has been a part of her entire life.

“The last four years at Northridge have been great,” she said. “Soccer is a part of who I am and it’s difficult to think about my life without it.”

Mischenko finished off her career in fifth-place on the all-time scoring list with 12 career goals. She is sixth on the all-time career points list with 30 career points. Gillis, playing in her 75th career game at Northridge, set a new school record for career games played.

As for the younger players, they say they have learned a lot from the veterans over the course of the season, and hope they can put it to good use in the future.

“No one can ever be replaced,” said freshman defender Jasmine Pratt. “I learned so much from their hard work and dedication and we’ll use what we learned from (the seniors) and try and pick up where we left off next year.”