Staff Editorial: What are you going to do about it?

At the start of this summer we faced the worst stage of our financial crisis.  News was saturated with continuous Wall Street woes, business’ crumbling and storefronts becoming vacant.  Jobs were lost every Friday, as it became the worst day of the week rather than the one people looked forward to. Jobs were scarce, the news scarier.

If that wasn’t enough to stomach, celebrities were dying off in droves.  The myth that celebrities die in threes was rewritten this summer.  It was more like sixes and sevens.   For a while everyone was watching their step or looking over their shoulder.  It was a grim summer for celebrities and the job market.

The constant harassment of negative news has created a tense energy that has left many feeling insecure and frustrated.  It was an edgy summer and it’s continuing into the fall.

For a time we were just spectators, unfazed bystanders that shook our heads in sorrow for the hard times.  As students, we were granted immunity.  That was short-lived.

The truth is that our state is in a dismal financial crisis.  The fact that California is in the worst financial shape of all 50 states is preposterous.  The repercussions of this became tangible when students began registering for fall classes.  Classes are limited and hard to come by.  Even students whose class standing is senior are having a difficult time enrolling in classes that are key to their graduation this winter and spring.

This is a direct consequence of the budget crisis.  The California State University system is suffering immensely because of these cutbacks.  Availability of classes is dwindling, resulting in delayed graduation dates.  Even worse, the loss of financial aid and/or grants could become a reality for some if they are not enrolled as full-time students.

Forget the “let me grab my violin” quips, this is truly a sad story.  California has the eighth largest economy in the world and the woes of this state are trickling down to us students and our education.

We’re aspiring students anxious to apply ourselves, but can’t move forward because classes have been cut.  This is ludicrous and frustrating, but we must work to stay hopeful.

We must ask ourselves, what are the solutions to fix such strife?

As students and members of this great state we must ask how we can fix this? How can we sacrifice to make things work and gain the full availability of a state funded education?

All Matadors out there need to explore the boundaries of our existence for answers.  How can you individually help the deficit disappear?  Is there a way?

It’s called conscious, selfless thought.  Something that has gone by the wayside this past decade, which in turn helped contribute to this mess. We suggest mass consumption must stop and volunteering, communal activity must rise.  Collective efforts and communication must take shape.   Questions must be raised!  We must be proactive, not reactive.

Although, this is not the final answer, it’s a beginning. We are the life-blood of this institution, the future of this economy and voice of change.  What can you do about it? What will you do about it?  If we don’t step up our efforts, we’ll be the victims of a future where lack of education shapes our society.