Matadors lose to Bluejays 2-1, giving them their second straight loss

This weekend the Cal State Northridge women’s soccer team (2-3) began a long stretch in which three of its next four games are on the road, all out of state.  Friday night, the Matadors traveled to Nebraska to take on the Bluejays of Creighton University, a team that has outscored its opponents 13-1 so far this season.

The game started on a good note when forward Farryn Townley scored just 15 minutes into the contest.  She received a pass inside the box and beat Blue Jays goalkeeper to her left, just inside the post.  It was Townley’s second goal of the year, as she is quickly climbing up the ranks of all-time goal scorers in CSUN history.  That was her seventh career goal, placing her 10th in school history.

Senior Kelley Ross and junior Jasmine Pratt were credited with the assists.  It was Ross’ second assist of the season, tying her for the team lead.  Unfortunately, the celebration would not last long as the Bluejays scored just nine minutes later.

One of the hottest players in the country to start the year, Creighton freshman Brittney Neumann, scored her fourth goal of the year, tying the score at 1-1 in the 24th minute.  Senior Mary Zapapas got the assist on the goal.  The score would remain tied into the half.

In the 51st minute, Bluejay midfielder Emily Orbell had a corner kick, which she sent into the middle of the box.  It went right to the spot where sophomore Kelly Connolly put a head on it, beating CSUN goalie Leah Elliot for the 2-1 lead.

Northridge never even had a chance of tying it up.  In the second half, CSUN did not have a single shot.  Overall, the Bluejays had 22 shots and the Matadors only had three.  The Matadors just could not put anything together offensively against the soon-to-be ranked Creighton Bluejays.

The Matadors hope to regroup and bounce back at home.  They will play host to the University of Vermont at Matador Soccer Field Sunday at 1 p.m.