Count Basie Orchestra Kicks off ’09-‘10 Season

Nnenna Freelon's impressive vocals accompany the orchestra. Photo courtesy of David Garten

The Plaza Del Sol Performance Hall Kicked off its Fall season on Sept. 12 with the Count Basie Orchestra featuring guest vocalist Nnenna Freelon.

The world-famous orchestra celebrated its 75th year by jamming and grooving to the scintillating jazz music that the late Count Basie himself was celebrated for. The sultry crooning provided by Ms. Freelong harkened back to memories of the great women who have sung with the orchestra before her, including: Ella Fitzgerald, Billie Holiday and Sarah Vaughn. What a lovely way to kick off the 2009-2010 season!

The Plaza Del Sol has a number of enticing performances this season that the CSUN student body is sure to love. Some of the hightlights will include: the infamous Debbie Reynolds on Oct. 3, Smokey Joe’s Café on Oct. 17, Of Mice and Men on Oct. 23, Tommy Tune in Steps in Time on Nov. 21, and, “State Street Ballet presenting The Nutcracker,” on Dec. 5.

Whether you like Jazz, a Broadway show-tune, or perhaps a gracefull ballet; the Performance Hall has a jam-packed season that is sure to delight audiences of all types. To see a complete list of upcoming programs, check the Web site www.artsnorthridge.csun.com. Discounted student tickets are available but for a limited time. Call the box office at (818) 677-2488 and I’ll see you at the Theatre!