New scholarship and virtual event announced during first Associated Students Senate meeting this fall

The Sundial file photo

CSUN Associated Students Senate will meet virtually this year, due to the coronavirus and campus closures.

Sloane Bozzi, Assistant Campus Editor

The Associated Students Senate held its first meeting of the fall 2020 semester virtually on Monday.

Vice President Deion Joseph Turner said the Associated Students and the University Student Union are collaborating on a new scholarship, called the Justice Scholarship.

Turner introduced a new virtual event called, “Creating Your Fall 2020 Student Experience,” which will take place this Friday from 2-4 p.m. Students will be able to ask a panel direct questions regarding student life as CSUN continues online learning.

The Chief of Staff, Kayla Simpkins, provided an update to the Senate regarding the Chair of Diversity of Inclusion, Jessica Steiner, who she said is adjusting well to her new position.

The senator of science and mathematics II, Nolan Dafesh, nominated himself to serve as Chair of Internal Affairs, while Turner nominated Upper Division Senator Tiffany Abodoh for the position. The vote was tied 9-9 and President Rose Merida broke the tie, voting for Dafesh to serve as Chair of Internal Affairs.

Dafesh will oversee the Internal Affairs Committee, which evaluates and improves AS programs.

Nonna Milyavskaya was appointed Associate Justice. Milyavskaya will assist Chief Justice Isaac Shafa in overseeing the Judicial Court.

Brandon Sandoval was appointed the Chair of Clubs and Organizations, and will act as a liaison between the Associated Students and campus clubs and organizations.

Questions regarding AS can be answered at a virtual office via Zoom Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Further updates regarding the Justice Scholarship will be provided as they become available.

Clubs and organizations can collect membership dues virtually as well.