Matadors get second straight victory

The CSUN women's soccer team got their second straight shut-out victory Friday against the Highlanders. Photo Credit: Mizuho Yamada / Contributing Photographer

The Cal State Northridge women’s soccer team (7-8, Big West 3-2) got a much-needed 1-0 victory Friday on the road against UC Riverside. The win placed the Matadors third in the conference standings with nine points and three games remaining, trailing only Cal Poly and UC Santa Barbara.

For the first time in Northridge’s history, CSUN recorded back-to-back shutouts in conference on the road. The most amazing aspect is that they did it using their fourth string goalkeeper.

Freshman goalie Cynthia Jacobo began the season behind Leah Elliot, Kellie Drenner and red shirt freshman Haley Hawes on the depth chart. Due to injuries and inconsistent play in net, Jacobo got her chance and is making the best of it.

Following her five-save performance at UC Davis last Sunday, she made a career high six saves in net to get her second win. For the year, she is now 2-0 without giving up a goal.

With Cal Poly and Santa Barbara projected to make the conference tournament, CSUN is in a fight with UC Irvine, Pacific and Cal State Fullerton for the final two spots. The winner of the conference tournament receives an automatic birth into the NCAA Tournament.

CSUN played well and had a lot of opportunities offensively.

“Tonight was a great win for us and a total team effort,” head coach Keith West said.

Northridge finished with 17 shots to Riverside’s 11, with Northridge carrying much of the play.

The lone goal of the game came when senior defender Sydney Vermillion won the ball off a free kick in the 21st minute. Vermillion sent a pass up the side of the field to defender Katie Fox, who sent a cross from the right side into the box where junior forward Farryn Townley buried the ball into the back of the net.

The goal was Townley’s eighth of the year, one goal short of a single season school record. Vermillion and Fox were credited with the assists. It was Vermillion’s second and Fox’s first on the year.

The Matadors went deep into its bench, giving more minutes to players who previously were used only in situational moments. Sophomore forward Alexis Barbara and junior midfielder Erin Kelly played more than they have the rest of the season.

“We had a lot of players out tonight and players who hadn’t played a lot earlier in the year are stepping up and playing important roles,” West said.

Senior forward Niki Connolly was more aggressive than she has been all year, recording four shots.

Riverside put pressure on CSUN in the second half, but Jacobo and the Northridge defense was up to the challenge, preserving the win.

Northridge will play a non-conference game against Cal State Bakersfield Friday before returning to conference action Sunday at home versus UC Irvine.