Matadors stay hot against Titans

Midfielder Marie Hirsch and her teammates move up to third in the Big West standings after defeating CSUF 1-0 Sunday. Photo Credit: Mizuho Yamanda / Contributing Photographer

The Cal State Northridge women’s soccer team (8-8, 4-2 Big West) got another solid performance from goalkeeper Cynthia Jacobo, as they held off Cal State Fullerton 1-0 Sunday night.

With the win, the Matadors came away with nine of the twelve possible points on its four-game road trip. They also set a school record with three consecutive road shutouts in conference.

Unlike recent games, CSUN played a tight, defensive game where opportunities were scarce. Northridge finished the contest with six shots, only two of which were on goal. Fullerton recorded 15 shots, but none of them were on goal.

Northridge broke through with the only goal of the game in the 26th minute when Fullerton goalkeeper Shannon Simpson misplayed the ball on a cross from Matador junior defender Desiree Cardenas. The ball squirted loose to senior forward Niki Connolly, who buried it into the open net for the 1-0 lead.

The goal was Connolly’s third on the season and her first against conference competition.

The Titans applied pressure the rest of the game but was unable to crack the Matador defense and create scoring opportunities. Early in the match, Titan midfielder Christina Murillo sent a shot from about 20 yards out off the cross bar and over the net. That would prove to be the closest the Titans got to score.

“We fought hard tonight to earn the win against a very good team,” head coach Keith West said. “The girls are playing with a lot of confidence right now and not settling for anything but their best performances. I am proud of the way we worked to get this win.”

Even though she didn’t have to make a save, freshman Jacobo received the shutout and is now 3-0 for the year, without having given up a goal in 270 minutes of play.

The Matadors have received contributions from places they hadn’t expected to see this season. Obviously freshman goalkeeper Jacobo has been a pleasant surprise, but freshman midfielder Stephanie Galarze has also given the team a boost. Even junior transfer Desiree Cardenas has proven to be an asset that coach West can count on to get positive minutes.

CSUN now stands tied for second in the conference with UC Santa Barbara, having 12 points each.

This Friday CSUN begins a three game home stand to end the regular season against Cal State Bakersfield in a non-conference matchup before the Matadors play UC Irvine on Sunday.