Students gain free goodies and knowledge at Associated Students’ annual America Recycles Day

Carina Cardenas

Nikhil Schneider, the energy and sustainability coordinator, informs students on how CSUN is going zero waste at the America Recycles Day: Race to Zero Waste event on the Sierra Lawn in Northridge, Calif., on Nov. 16, 2021.

Carina Cardenas, Reporter

CSUN’s Associated Students hosted their annual America Recycles Day: Race to Zero Waste event on the Sierra Lawn from 11 a.m. – 1 p.m. on Nov. 16. Those who participated in the event got the opportunity to learn more about America Recycles Day, how CSUN is going zero waste, while also learning about clubs and services here on campus.

The event started off with the attendees being given the opportunity to grab free goodies such as planners, pens, pencils, chapstick and even a CSUN tumbler.

As they continued through the race, attendees got the chance to hear from Nikhil Schneider, the energy and sustainability coordinator, Juliet Vo from CSUN’s Outdoor Adventures, Christel Bowen from CSUN’s Food Pantry, and Jasmine Martinez from the CalFresh Healthy Living Program.

Halfway through the event, a photo booth was set up for attendees to use. Participants who posted their photos on social media while also tagging @CSUNAS_SUSTAINABILITY got the chance to be entered in a giveaway.
As attendees reached the finish line, they were awarded with a free tote bag with a choice of two goodies inside for making their way through all the booths during the event.