TCU Delta Gamma Sorority Member Bryn Carden Shares Five Tips for Rushing a College Sorority

Bryn Carden

Branded Content by Cosmic Press

Many high school graduates planning to go to college this upcoming fall will have the opportunity to partake in Rush, the sorority recruitment process. Joining a sorority is both an exciting and intimidating adventure. Rush aids in making sure new potential members match with the sorority that fits them best as their new home away from home. Bryn Carden, a Delta Gamma sorority member at Texas Christian University (TCU), breaks down the steps high school graduates should take to prepare for Rush and tips to help women get invitations to join their desired college sorority.  

Tip #1: Get all your ducks in a row 

Most college sororities require those who want to Rush to submit recommendation letters and resumes ahead of time, sometimes up to three months in advance. It is common for sorority alum groups local to your community to assist in writing recommendation letters or provide further information. If you can find alums from the sororities you find yourself the most interested in, that aids well when collecting recommendation letters.  

Tip #2: Prep your closet 

When packing for college, it is a good idea to keep in mind what outfits will work best for Rush. Keep the phrase “dress for success” in your mind when choosing clothes to wear. Clothes should be appropriate, professional, respectable, and comfortable. That means leaving the stilettos out for this event. Stick to outfits that make you feel good to build your confidence. By prepping outfits far in advance, you create one less thing to stress about when the time comes. Some colleges host Rush before the school year starts. However, some universities require students to balance school and Rush simultaneously, which can add to any stress around the process.  

Tip #3: Do the research 

Before Rush starts, knowing what sororities are on a college campus and what philanthropies or community events each sorority supports are beneficial for conversation topics during Rush week. By doing your research, you can better prepare any questions you might have about sorority involvement and lifestyle.  

Tip #4: Clean up social media 

Recruits want to ensure that their social media does not portray a different side of their life. You want whatever is on the internet about you to reflect your best image, not your worst. If a sorority member meets you and your first impression does not align with what your social media reflects, then that can be a red flag for sorority recruiting. Sororities are not all about what you see in the movies, and party pictures online can work against anyone trying to receive an invitation to the sorority they like most.   

Tip #5: Be yourself 

Above all, an essential thing for everyone to remember who is going through Rush is to be yourself. Rather than treating meet and greets with sororities like an interview, strive to have natural conversations with those you converse with and get to know. Embracing your authentic self and going through Rush with an open mind will help you find the right sorority.  

About Bryn Carden  

Bryn Carden is a young entrepreneur and philanthropist with a passion for real estate and design. She is currently studying at Neeley School of Business, pursuing a major in Finance with a Real Estate Concentration. Besides working towards her degree, she has already begun her entrepreneurial journey as a co-founder of BF Hats and a creator of Styles for Smiles – a company selling bracelets to help fund cleft palate operations for children in developing countries.  

Branded content furnished by our promotional partners. The Daily Sundial editorial staff is not involved in its production. Content does not reflect the views or opinions of the editorial staff.