Letter From the Editor, Volume 63, Issue 9

At first, I was hesitant to write this letter from the editor for a magazine issue with music as its central theme. I’m by no means a musician and felt like the mic should be given to someone with musical talent. However, I realized that there’s a lot of value that comes from the listener of a song and the way one resonates with the lyrics, rhythms and sounds.

Many of us can relate to a time when we came across a song that almost perfectly described the emotions and feelings we struggled to articulate. It’s moments like these that remind us of the power of music. After all, music is a universal language that can be appreciated in the many genres it presents itself.

For myself, hip-hop always delivered a sense of comfort and empowerment. Artists like Kendrick Lamar and Public Enemy first got me hooked on music that had a message deeper than the braggadocio of mainstream rap. I then discovered Filipino rappers, like Ruby Ibarra and Bambu, who integrated their experiences of growing up as Filipino Americans into their music. Hearing their stories was rhythmic validation for the culture I struggled to embrace in the past.

The emotional connections I developed with my favorite songs inspired me to start writing and performing spoken-word poetry back in 2019. Although I don’t perform as much anymore, the interest I built in writing is what helped me decide to become a journalist, even if it doesn’t show in the robotic nature of journalistic writing.

In Issue 9, I hope that you find interest in our stories showing the different ways that music has played a significant role across our campus community. Hopefully, they inspire you to some degree, or at least strengthen your love for the art of music.

Brandon Sarmiento
Social Media Editor