Sexual Harassment on College Campuses: Things You Need To Know 

Branded Content by Cosmic Press

There aren’t many things that are worse than sexual harassment. People who decide to strip away someone’s innocence by harassing them in the most horrid way possible are monsters. Sadly, those monsters are lurking in the shadows as we speak and they can be anywhere. For example, some of them hide on college campuses. 

They can wear student clothes or professor cloaks, but they are there. Now, sadly, only a few people can recognize a sexual predator before they strike. This is why most of them get arrested after they made damage. 

But, if you are a victim of sexual harassment on campus or you feel like you might be in the future, this article is for you. 

Here are the essential things you need to know. 

How To Recognize A Predator 

Recognizing a sexual predator can be challenging, as they often blend into society and may not exhibit obvious signs of their harmful intentions. However, there are some behaviors and red flags that can help you identify potential sexual predators: 

Sexual predators often engage in grooming behavior to gain the trust of their victims and manipulate them. This can include excessive compliments, gifts, or favors, as well as gradually pushing boundaries and testing limits. Predators may use manipulation tactics to control their victims. They may try to isolate them from friends and family, exert control over their daily activities, or use emotional blackmail to maintain power over them.  

Pay attention to individuals who consistently disregard personal boundaries. This can include invading personal space, making inappropriate comments or jokes, or touching others without consent. Sexual predators often ignore or dismiss the concept of consent. They may pressure or coerce others into sexual activities, ignore verbal or non-verbal cues of discomfort, or engage in non-consensual acts. 

Predators may go to great lengths to hide their actions and maintain secrecy. They may be overly protective of their privacy, avoid discussing their personal life, or exhibit suspicious behavior when it comes to their online activities or relationships. 

Who To Talk To If You Become A Victim 

Title IX Coordinator 

Every college campus is required to have a Title IX Coordinator who is responsible for addressing issues related to sexual harassment and gender-based discrimination. They can provide information about your rights, explain the college’s policies and procedures, and guide you through the reporting process.  

Campus Counseling Center 

Most colleges have counseling centers that offer confidential support and counseling services to students. They can provide a safe space for you to talk about your experience, offer emotional support, and help you navigate the next steps.  

Campus Police or Security 

If you feel unsafe or want to report the incident, you can contact the campus police or security department. They can assist you in filing a report, provide information about safety measures, and connect you with any necessary resources. 

Local Sexual Assault or Crisis Centers 

In addition to campus resources, you can also reach out to local sexual assault or crisis centers. They offer confidential support, counseling, and resources for victims of sexual harassment or assault. 

The Final Word 

The most important thing you need to do is respect yourself and your body. What does this mean? Well, you need to know that no one is entitled to your body, no matter who they are on campus. Even if you are being harassed by a figure of authority, you need to report them. There is nothing to be ashamed of and you will not get in trouble. 

With this mindset, you will be able to ward off many predators, if we assume that they are not overly aggressive. 

Branded content furnished by our promotional partners. The Daily Sundial editorial staff is not involved in its production. Content does not reflect the views or opinions of the editorial staff.