How CSUN with a HEART aids students in need

William Espinosa
The University Student Union building.

CSUN with a HEART is a program that aims to provide students with assistance and essential information about university resources. HEART is an acronym that represents the program’s mission in “addressing hunger/homeless and emergency needs with assistance and resources together.”

CSUN with a HEART strives to eliminate barriers to students’ success by connecting students to different organizations and outreach programs that provide basic needs.

All of this is done through the California State University’s Basic Needs Initiative, which focuses on supporting students inside and outside of the classroom. The initiative aims to lessen the effects of acute basic needs insecurity, while avoiding any judgment in cases where a student’s life or education is impacted due to the lack of support. They offer a range of resources that can be accessed through the CSUN website, where students are guided through components of the CSU Basic Needs Initiative.

One resource highlighted on the CSUN with a HEART’s website is the CSUN Food Pantry. The food pantry is located in Laurel Hall, opposite parking lots D6 and E6, and provides students free food weekly. Students can access the pantry with their CSUN ID.

If students need further assistance, they can connect with CalFresh Outreach. The outreach program provides students with financial aid that is intended to help buy fresh groceries. Students can connect with the program by setting up an appointment with an outreach advocate through the website’s “BookMe” profile.

CSUN with a HEART also connects students with housing assistance. It helps students navigate through several forms of housing assistance by providing them with their Housing Stability Support application.

The responses to the application are used to tailor the assistance to the student. For example, the CSUN Temporary Emergency Housing program assists students in finding long-term housing, and they provide students with a temporary space within on-campus housing for a maximum of 20 days.

CSUN with a HEART also aids students in need of financial assistance in rental or student housing costs. They do this through emergency housing grants that students can access by contacting a housing stability care coordinator.

They can also assist students with other forms of financial assistance, which students are eligible for if they provide a reason for urgent financial assistance with supportive documentation. CSUN with a HEART directs students to the financial aid and scholarship department to find more available support.

CSUN with a HEART also connects students with specialty financial assistance, such as the Student Veteran Emergency Relief Fund, which is only accessible to veteran students. Students can find additional information at the Veterans Resource Center in the University Student Union.

CSUN with A HEART leads students to on-campus services for their mental and physical well-being. Students can exercise at the Student Recreation Center, relax at the Oasis Wellness Center, and find medical services at the Klotz Student Health Center.

Finally, CSUN with A HEART connects students to communities of support. Students can get involved with organizations like the Central American United Student Association and Revolutionary Scholars. They can also find camaraderie on campus at places like the Black House, the Glenn Omatsu House, and the Pride Center.

These organizations are all targeted to students with individual identities and different backgrounds, but there are also general support programs that are offered for all students. One of these programs is Matty’s Closet, which provides students with access to professional attire. Matty’s Closet, located at the Career Center, provides new and gently used professional clothes as well as style tips to any student with an appointment.

All of the services CSUN with A HEART connects students to can help students navigate their education. More resources can be found at CSUN with a HEART’s website via virtual appointment.